October 14, 2010

More thoughts about the teenage ghost

Here are my family’s reactions to my ghost story:

Shaggy Hair Boy listened eagerly, and said, “Oh. My. God. That is sooooo creepy.” He said, "After I'm dead, I'm going to go into people's houses and play the piano."

With-a-Why listened and said nothing.

My daughter made me tell the whole story on speaker phone so that Blue-eyed Ultimate Player could hear it. She said, “That’s the creepiest thing I’ve ever heard. Now I’m going to be afraid to sleep alone.” (Her apartment is the bottom part of an old mansion in Snowstorm City.)

My husband said nothing.

Boy in Black grinned and said. "It was just your mind playing tricks on you. Let’s see … you were tired, it was late at night, the lights were dim, you were in a strange place, and you had been having a creepy feeling. It's not a surprise that your mind conjured up the image of a teenage boy since teenage boys usually are standing outside any bathroom you use."

My mother said, “Hey, you saw a ghost?” in the same tone of voice she would use for, "Hey, you went on a hike?" She reminded me of the time she heard a ghost tap dancing in an old theatre building downtown.

My father said, “Oh, I’d love to see a ghost.” He sounded jealous. He wanted to hear the whole story again. He asked, “Was the boy solid or translucent?” He kept saying I should do some research and find out who the kid was.

Artist Friend’s reaction was pretty much the same as my father’s. He asked the same question. “Was the boy solid or translucent?”

The little neighbor boy said, "Oh, don't worry, I see ghosts too. When I lived at my Dad’s house, it was haunted. There was this old man ghost. He would just sit there and rock back and forth.”

9 comments:

Psycgirl said...

I thought your story made me feel creeped out - but little neighbour boy's bothers me more for some reason! (icky ghost stories!)

Lilian said...

Fascinating!! I think the reactions reveal a lot about the people who had them. I can tell With-a-Why is a lot like his dad. I think your parents' reactions are "fun" and I agree with Psycgirl that what little neighbor boy (wasn't he Biker boy at some point or is my memory playing tricks on me?) is a bit disturbing. (particularly given his troubled life). His response makes me think of Sixth Sense again.

jo(e) said...

Yeah, the little neighbor boy is Little Biker Boy, when I remember to use his pseudonym. He rides his bike all the time.

Artist Friend said...

My wife and I spent the night last summer in an inn in Bardstown, KY, that was totally haunted. People come from around the world to stay there and see ghosts, and we were totally ignorant of all that. I spent an absolute sleepless night, creeped out in spineless terror--and experienced nothing. I don't think I'm going back, though, since it's the ghost of Jesse James that haunts the place, not some innocent teenager.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I've seen a couple ghosts.

(I also saw a UFO--really!)

NOT for a LONG time though! Nothing like that recently.

readersguide said...

Little Biker Boy's reaction bothers me, too. Maybe it makes him seem even more fragile. And I also agree that you should do more research -- who could it be? We need answers!

jodi said...

A couple of hours before my grandmother died (2002) there were 5 of us sitting with her (in her house) during the early morning hours. Her husband, 2 uncles, one aunt and myself. But the presence of more people at the one door in her room was so overpowering that I remember thinking why didn't they just come in. And then I realized who "they" were. The feeling stayed for quite awhile and then it left. I walked around the house searching for them/it but nothing. Grandma died a few hours later. A year past and I heard a speaker mention that spirits can leave bodies well before the last breath is taken. Made me think.

p said...

I've seen ghosts. Twice.

Kim said...

My very conservative, not open minded sister remembers my uncle hanging around the house until she was 7, He died when she was 2. My very conservative mom reluctantly shared that he did indeed hang out and "chat"with her for years after his death. Death could just be a dimension...