This meme comes via the RevGalBlogPals.
List five chores you do unwillingly, resentfully, or half-heartedly:
1. Emptying the cat litter boxes.
2. Cleaning up after the cats when they pee in strange places.
3. Grocery shopping. Any kind of shopping.
4. Cleaning the bathroom. Cleaning the kitchen. Any kind of cleaning.
5. Grading papers.
Is there anyone who likes doing those things? Is there anyone out there who says, "Hurray! The cat peed in the corner of the living room AGAIN and I can’t wait to wholeheartedly clean it up!" Yeah, right. I would have added laundry to the list too, except I haven’t done any laundry in years because Spouse has always done the laundry. But when I do have occasion to do laundry, often because someone is vomiting during the night, you can bet I do it unwillingly.
I can't stand any chore that has to be done every day. No matter how often the dishes are washed at my house, there are always dirty dishes on the counter because at any given time, you can find at least three people eating something somewhere in the house. As I type this, for instance, Shaggy Hair is sitting in the comfy chair with a book and a glass of juice. Boy in Black just disappeared upstairs with a glass of chocolate milk and a plate with a sandwich on it. With-a-Why and Neighbor Girl had a snack earlier and left the plates and cups on the counter. And I have a cup of herbal tea on the window sill behind me.
I am a binge cleaner. I like projects like cleaning out a closet or painting a room or organizing a cabinet. That way, when I am done, things look different. And I feel a sense of accomplishment. But really, what is the point of doing dishes if they are just going to get dirty again?
Chores I don’t mind doing:
1. Mowing the lawn. Any kind of yard work.
2. Gardening. Hauling mulch from the DPW. Turning over the gardens in the spring. Planting seeds or plants. Weeding. Picking vegetables.
3. Shoveling snow. Especially in the evening when the stars and moon are out, and the house with looks so cosy with light spilling from the windows.
4. Building a fire. Splitting wood. Stacking wood.
5. Packing for a camping trip.
These are the chores I do willingly. And everything else – well, mostly nowadays, I delegate them. That's one of the benefits of having a houseful of teenagers.