July 20, 2007

At the grocery store

The rain was just ending as I pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store yesterday. I skirted puddles as I hurried inside, dumping my purse and a pile of cloth bags into the cart. I hadn't even made it past the display of watermelons and blueberries when I realized I had left my grocery list in the car. Since Boy in Black had taken the time to make the list out for me (checking the cupboards and refrigerator to see what we needed), I figured I ought to go get it. I turned and wheeled the cart out of the store, hurrying across the pavement towards my car.

I almost bumped into a man about my father's age. He looked familiar, and I gave him a friendly hello. When you go to the same grocery store all your life, about half the people in the store know your name or at least your family.

He paused, and I went through a mental list, trying to determine who he was. The parent of someone I went to school with? A friend of my father's? Someone who worked at the school? Someone I'd seen at church? I waited, figuring he would say something to give me a clue who he was.

Instead he looked at my cart. "Were they expensive?"

I looked at him, startled. "Uh, what?"

"The invisible groceries," he waved his hand at the empty cart. "Were they expensive?"

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those invisible groceries are good at helping me lose weight.

Xtin said...

Invisible groceries are in my kitchen cupboards! Also in the refrigerator! They infest the place! Call the exterminators! I need help. The one visible grocery in the form of a packet of oat cakes is fighting a losing battle.

argon(one) said...

I am terrible at remembering names. I remember faces, just not the names that go with them. I think everyone should have their names embroidered on their clothes or wear name badges, so there wouldn't be those awkward moments between meeting someone and remembering who they are.

jodi said...

That is so funny. Hope you have beautiful weather for the wedding tomorrow.

Cup said...

How perfect!

Rana said...

That is hilarious!

We do not have invisible groceries here. We have invisible clutter, and a self-reproducing stash of tea.

susan said...

Rana, I could use some invisible clutter. The visible clutter here is getting to me.

Cathy said...

Did you tell them they were priceless? :)

Cute!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! Very funny.

Migs Bassig said...

This is why I can't stop reading your entries. A simple story told beautifully, wittily.

But you never figured out who he was?

jo(e) said...

Cathy: Oh, that would have been a good comeback.

Witness Street: No, never figured out who he was. He might have just been someone being friendly.

Rana said...

Alas, susan, we have both.

There's the visible clutter that torments everyone, and the invisible clutter that we can't see until someone comes to visit and knocks on the door. Then we run about, arms full of stuff, wondering where the heck it all came from.

Keri said...

Invisible groceries!! Love it! :)