May 27, 2008

Sills

At the corner

In a city without cars, where narrow lanes and quiet canals wove between old buildings, I kept noticing the windows, glimpses into an interior world. Window boxes offered the only bits of greenery we saw in the city, and the bright flowers contrasted with the soft, fading colours of the walls. I kept imagining what it would be like to live in one of these buildings — to look down at water rising in a canal, to hang wet shirts on a cotton rope, to admire vines tumbling out of the window box, or to look down at the heads of tourists as they wandered through the neighborhood, happily lost.

Window

7 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

You're using past tense, so does this mean that you're back? I should check Facebook...

Anyhow, your pictures from this trip are just amazing. Lovely colors. Great details. And hilarious not-quite-naked shot / story. :)

a/k/a Nadine said...

I am particularly drawn to photos of windows with window boxes. These are lovely.

Billie said...

Your photos are just GORGEOUS . . . they evoke the time, the history, the beauty. Gorgeous, I tell you. ;-)

kathy a. said...

there is something so wonderful about seeing flowers at a window where nothing growing was meant to be.

Silver Creek Mom said...

I so want to go there now. That is my favortie shot so far.

Hugs

Gawdess said...

glimpses into an interior world is what they are, wonderful and I will also say what billie said, cause it is right.

Anonymous said...

What lovely pictures - I'm with billie and gawdess