September 28, 2011

Intersection

At the traffic light, I glanced in my rear view mirror. Behind me, a rusty blue pickup truck had come to a stop. I remembered the vehicle from the gas station I’d stopped at just a few minutes before. Mostly, I remembered the proliferation of bumper stickers that suggested that the owner had very different political views than I did.

As I waited for the light to turn green, a burly man stepped out of the truck. He approached my car. He was walking right down the yellow line, in the middle of the road, which didn’t make sense. I rolled down my window apprehensively.

But he didn’t come up to my window. Instead, he leaned over as if to open my backdoor. He didn’t even look my way.

I heard a click.

Suddenly I realized what he was doing. He’d screwed on the cap to my gas tank. I guess I’d left it dangling after filling up at the station.

I leaned out and said, “Thank you!”

He looked up and grinned, then gave a wave as he jumped back into his truck. The light turned green.

8 comments:

Val said...

I was having visions of No Country for Old Men-like moments, but no, this is a Happy Jo(e) Post. :) I love the simple smile and wave, I can picture it so well.

Zhoen said...

That's a terrible way for him to have done a good thing. He could have waved, shouted or motioned that your gas cap was out, something.

jo(e) said...

Zhoen: I don't think he had time. I think he just did it instinctively, without thinking about it.

Jeff said...

Always nice to see kindness even if we share different views.

Kyla said...

There is kindness on both sides of the fence.

(I'd have been really scared until I realized what he was actually doing.)

sherry said...

There is a truck like that at my son's school. Last week, after the football game, the owner helped me carry stuff to my car. While walking he said to me, "I am sure you voted for Obama. I just want you to know that we both love our country and we are friends." I almost started crying right there.

kathy a. said...

sweet.

Anonymous said...

A scary beginning and a good ending. A nice reminder about expectations.