July 24, 2014

Always visit the lighthouse

Montauk Point Lighthouse

That’s my travel tip. I don’t know how many lighthouses I’ve visited in my lifetime, but I haven’t regretted a single one.

Lighthouses are built in interesting places — usually at the top of a cliff that juts out into the ocean, with gorgeous views. The little museums attached to them are filled with history: black-and-white photos of the original site, sketches of shipwrecks, and often some narrative about the lighthouse keepers and their families. In an old journal, you can get a glimpse of the man who spent years living on the edge of a cliff, gardening or reading, polishing the lenses and carrying fuel, responsible for the beacon that just might save someone’s life.

  Journal of a lighthouse keeper

2 comments:

L said...

Awesome! I love to go to lighthouses too! I wish I'd visited more of them in my life.

chicago foodie girl said...

I've always been fascinated by lighthouses. After spending most of my life in MI & IL, I can't imagine not living near a large body of water and lovely light houses.