November 12, 2015

By the ocean, with babies!

Beach in fall

At the end of last month, my husband and I took the long drive past Big City Like No Other, over several bridges, and out onto the Very Long Island to visit my sister, her husband, and their twin baby girls. The twins are four months old now, plump and smiling, laughing aloud if they hear the right funny noises.

My sister lives in a summer vacation spot, but on a cold fall day, most of the tourists were gone. When we took the babies for a walk on the beach, we wore winter coats. My sister carried one twin under her coat, and I took the other. The beach looked different without lifeguard chairs, umbrellas, or towels. But the ocean waves were just the same, crashing down onto the wet sand.

I love everything about walking on the beach: the smell of the salty air, the rhythm of the surf, the big sky that stretches forever, the softness of sand underfoot, and that realization that the ocean is so much bigger than I am. But the best part of the walk was carrying a warm baby under my coat, her little face just inches from mine. She kept looking right at me and smiling; it was clear that my new niece loves the ocean just as much as I do. How fun it's going to be when the twins are a little older and I can build sand castles with them.

10 comments:

Cindy said...

I never get tired of the ocean.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I love the Ocean and your walk there sounds magical:)

gz said...

holiday places can be appreciated when empty!

Amber said...

That sounds so delightful. A friend of mine had a baby 6 months ago and I've loved getting to hold a baby again.

Debbie said...

I live 10 minutes from the ocean, my favorite place in the whole wide world!!

Elephant's Child said...

Oooooh.

Anonymous said...

What is better in life that ambling along a beach. Well carrying a new born while you amble is better.

DJan said...

How wonderful to have a baby smiling right at you while walking on the beach. It sounds just perfect to me! :-)

Rummuser said...

My late wife and I had every intention of moving to the coast post retirement but illness and her death put paid to those plans. I go to Chennai almost every year at least once and inevitably spend time on one of the many beaches that run along the city.

beemama said...

Auntie-ing is just the best! My nephew is 4 months as well, and I love his soft, snuggly little head...and the fact that he wakes someone else in the wee hours. Looking forward to that first beach visit with him someday!