July 17, 2006

Compliment

Yesterday was ridiculously hot and humid, one of those days when everyone walks in slow motion because it takes such energy to move through the thick air. Even the gang of teenagers who hang out here in the evening seemed lethargic as they played cards and joked around and slapped at the mosquitoes that kept coming into the house because so many of our window screens are bent and broken.

Usually, evening brings some coolness, but last night the house still felt like someone had just opened a giant dishwasher partway through the hot water cycle.

We started talking about the newest movies that were playing, and I said that I would go see any movie just to sit in an air conditioned movie theater for a few hours.

"My house is air conditioned," said CoolKid.

He picked up a couple of poker chips, looked around at his friends, and shrugged. "I’d rather be here."

14 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

That's great :)

Oh, and the movie part is reminding me of that sweltering summer in Chicago -- was it '95, when all the people died? I think I saw every movie playing. Twice. OK, that's an exaggeration, but I did sit at a cafe or bar with A/C on the non-movie nights and stayed out late late late. Anything to avoid my sticky hot apartment.

Silver Creek Mom said...

I love it when kids would RATHER be over at our house. and we live the futhest away from anyone. No pool, not even a creek and the would all ratherhave super soaker fights and a bonfire and lay out and look up at the stars which I might add are amazing at night here.


Go see Pirates. I enjoyed it. Alittle over the top but I was not bored and now I have to wait to next summer to see what happens next.

Chip said...

Man, that is the ultimate compliment, isn't it? Very cool.

Pink Shoes said...

What a true compliment!

OneTiredEma said...

Wow, you can take that one to the bank!

Yankee, Transferred said...

The ultimate. Go you!

KLee said...

What a nice thing to say. It seems like your home is more home to most kids than their own homes are! That's why you have so many extras! :)

Marni said...

Very cool. I can only hope I get that compliment one day.

Repressed Librarian said...

I'd rather be hanging out at your house too! Who wouldn't?

Anonymous said...

It's not at all hard for me to imagine why he feels that way.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Librarian. Yours sounds like the coolest house with the coolest kids AND the coolest MOM for MILES around.

BeachMama said...

I would rather be there too. I gave up last year and allowed ac to be installed in our place. I froze last night and am under blankets right now. Something not quite right about that.

Liz Miller said...

Now THAT's a compliment. Count me as one who'd rather be there too.

Anonymous said...

I like cool kid.