July 17, 2006

Heat Wave

It's in the 90s here. Still. Another hot, humid day. It's hard to even use the laptop because it radiates heat and it's sticking to my bare legs. Right now, I would pay big money for some kind of laptop with a built-in cooling device.

The poison ivy rash on the back of my legs itches. Always, during a heat wave, I am covered with poison ivy rash. It is some sort of rule of the universe. Right behind the knees is a particularly annoying spot for poison ivy, although mercifully, my arms are both free from rash right now.

The teenagers have somehow summoned the energy to jam, even in this dreadful heat: Skater Boy on the drums, Older Neighbor Boy and Philosophical Boy on guitar, Shaggy Hair at the keyboard. Boy in Black and Blonde Niece just returned from running errands, which was brave of them, since the car is even hotter than the house. With-a-Why is working on his graphic novel. His hair is wet with sweat, the long dark strands sticking every which way, but he is concentrating so hard he does not seem to notice the heat.

I am too lethargic to walk over to the sink and get my hair wet, or get something cold to drink, or anything remotely sensible. Instead, I am looking at the photos I have on my laptop. I’ve got a whole series of weird distorted underwater photos of Blonde Niece swimming in the Big River That Runs Between Two Countries.

I am remembering how it feels to dive into that deep icy water, my whole body plunging through the wetness, a chill so sudden that all my muscles would feel as if they’d just been massaged, and all my nerve endings would be stimulated, alive.

diving

10 comments:

Chip said...

Just looking at the photo is refreshing. It's really really hot here too, I've got a big glass with water and lemons and ice cubes and a fan blowing full blast right on me. I almost feel like getting out the sprinkler and running through it, or better yet, just sitting under it (though I suppose that would really mess up my laptop)...

Bardiac said...

Gosh, that water looks INVITING!

I make my laptop heat bearable (mostly) by putting a plastic cutting board under it, and under that, a couple of folded towels. The towels are comfy on legs, and the plastic board lets the laptop's bottom get whatever circulation it's designed to get (with the little rubber knobby things it's got for "legs").

Bitty said...

On my home page I can get weather reports for several cities and I keep track of the places where my loved ones live. I've noticed that for the last few days it's been hotter in Illinois and Maryland than it is here in Florida.

Of course we're only at 93-94 degrees.

I hope you get some relief soon -- although August is still ahead.

Anonymous said...

I'm covered in heat rash from my not-so-bright plan to go camping this weekend. I took a nap on the couch when I got home and awoke to find my pillow was soaked anywhere skin touched it. And I have ac.

landismom said...

It's ridiculously hot here too. Yeah, wifi, for allowing me to follow the cold around the office today!

BeachMama said...

We are also enjoying the heat wave. Thankfully J has decided to go in the pool, so it is quite easy to keep him cool.

The photo of blonde neice in the water, looks very refreshing.

Liz Miller said...

Oooh, I want to dive right into that water.

I'm glad your kids are still getting in some hot licks even though they're hot and sticky.

Yankee, Transferred said...

great photo, and great image of with-a-why and his hair.

Anonymous said...

I use a Shaker cooling rack underneath my laptop. The laptop still puts out heat, of course, but at least there's air circulation. See this site for an example: http://bereacc.stores.yahoo.net/coralacorwa.html

Rana said...

Mmm... thanks for the cool (literally) picture.

I'll go back to alternating between sitting inside bored and going outside and getting giddy and sweaty with the heat, now.