September 01, 2006

Off to camp

canoeing

This first week of the semester is always tiring. My body is adjusting to the routine of getting to campus in time to teach early morning classes, my mind is adjusting to the flurry of questions from advisees and the routine of preparing for class, and my whole self is agonizing at all the mandatory meetings. I am ready for a long weekend at camp.

At the end of August, the water level is low, and the bay is filled with weeds and lily pads. It's a perfect time for canoeing through the marsh, for swimming in the sun-warmed river, and for sitting around a campfire at night. The mosquitoes should be gone -- and the nights will be cool, just right for a sweatshirt and long pants, cold enough that snuggling up to a spouse in a small tent will feel great.

The extended family that gathers for Labor Day will be smaller than usual -- two of my nieces have already moved back to grad school in the Big City Like No Other, and my two oldest kids will be spending the weekend on a college retreat with other students from Snowstorm University. But my younger two kids will have cousins to play with. My husband and I will have time to take long afternoon walks, just the two of us, to talk over all that happened this summer and make plans for the fall.

Labor Day weekend is my transition from summer to fall. And camp provides space for thinking, for planning, for reflection. It will feel good to get away from the computer, the telephone, the radio, and all the demands of campus. I'll lie in the hammock and watch the geese gathering in the bay, or sit under the oak trees, listening to the acorns as they fall to the ground. And if we get some sunny weather, we will soak in as much sun as we can. Because this is the last weekend of summer.

16 comments:

John said...

Transitions. Mine are always so abrupt. Enjoy your weekend!

Marie said...

I'm completely distracted by how gorgeous you are! But have a great weekend. I wish I could EVER get my stuff together so that my Labor Day weekends weren't spent getting ready for the beginning of school. But we ARE going kayaking. That will be good.

Chip said...

I love canoeing in water like that. As for summer, I can't believe it's already over. Have a great weekend!

jo(e) said...

Marie: That's not me in the photo -- that's my sister. I'm the person taking the photo and steering the canoe ....

listie said...

Have a great weekend. For the first time in years I have Labor Day off. I'm looking forward to hanging out in NewTown with my husband and, if it's dry, exploring the the nature area up the street from our new house.

Andrew McAllister said...

The best part: "The mosquitos should be gone." I love this time of year when you get a warm day with no bugs.

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

molly said...

School starts next week. This is the last weekend of summer, and hurricane Ernesto just arrived here in NY. My dog is playing outside in the rain, or rather, trying to avoid the raindrops. Not the way I'd choose to spend this particular weekend, so I'll just borrow yours, if you don't mind. Have a good one.

Anonymous said...

i like your blog with simple face but there is still one weakness:
the word is too small to read
hope you enlarge it.

kuaf said...

i like your blog with simple face but there is still one weakness:
the word is too small to read
hope you enlarge it.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I was reading the journal "1 Heck Of A Guy" when I came upon your blog. I really enjoyed reading it and I found that I will become one of those visitors that you can't get rid of it. I think your writing is quite interesting. I keep a journal at AOL J-Land and I wanted to let you know that I posted your journal in an entry of mine. I want to thank you for allowing me to visit and please know that I am glad that I found your site. Bye for now. Take care.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Wow. That photo is quite lovely. It made me long to go canoing.

Cristina said...

Enjoy your last weekend of summer. The best part to me sounds like the part where you get to get away from your computer. No Internet beckoning...sounds like heaven!

Anonymous said...

Your sister looks so strong and beautiful. I am having serious envy here.

-Heather

Unknown said...

I hope you're having a beautiful weekend!

Yankee, Transferred said...

Hope the weekend is going swimmingly.

YourFireAnt said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Mmm!!