February 26, 2007

In the snow

Earlier this month, I wrote about how difficult I find the month of February, and one of my readers, kate5kiwis, said she was going to go to the beach and write my name in the sand. I loved that image.

When my four children were small, I would sometimes feel overwhelmed and frustrated by the end of the day, especially in the summer when I was home with them all the time. Often in the evenings, I'd leave them with my husband, needing to get away from the house to have some quiet to myself. I would go to Pretty Colour Lakes, and walk the trail around the lake, letting the smell of cedar and the green-blue of the lake soothe me. And then I would walk across the beach, stopping to write my name in the sand.

This winter, I've been taking my walks on roads instead of trails because a level surface is easier on my injured knee. High snowbanks edge the roads, and on windy days, the powdery snow blows across the pavement. This week, as we finally near the end of the long month of February, I stopped to write my name in the snow.

Writing my name in the snow

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pic.

skatey katie said...

*kate waves a smiley hi from the beach*
i bet that felt so therapeutic, writing in the snow.
jo(e) writing goodbye to february...
you know there's only one more sleep, and you can't count that, cos it's nearly over lol...
but i'm *not* wishing my summer away...

Mona Buonanotte said...

I remember when my boy cousins would write their name in the snow...of course they did it a bit differently...!

Silver Creek Mom said...

I find Jan and FEB hard too. And part of March. I Need more sleep this time of year just to function. As soon as the middles of March hits I feel like the end is coming. End of Winter, End of short days, End of grumpy Sharon. No matter how much snow we get in March how cold it gets I know by the end of the month I will feel a change. Warmth.

Maybe I should write my name in the snow?

Yankee, Transferred said...

I think we should make it a meme-everybody write jo(e)s name somewhere fun!

Unknown said...

Sweet picture.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I like your handwriting.

I spent some time this weekend with a woman who has three boys ages 18 months - 5 years. She said she wants to get a part-time job in a library, for the quiet!

jo(e) said...

Mona: LOL. I hadn't even thought of that until someone put a comment like yours on my Flickr photo.

Silver Creek Mom: Yes, you should. It helps. And yeah, March is always so much better. At least there's a chance that spring will come.

Yankee: How funny it would be if I went somewhere and saw my name written .... I'd love to be graffiti!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely writing my name in the snow. Today to alleviate my feelings of frustration/being overwhelmed, I taught my children to make snowballs. It actually helped and we laughed a lot as we gently (they're 5) lobbed snowballs at each other.

Kyla said...

I love Yankee's idea...maybe KayTar and I will play with the sidewalk chalk tomorrow. :) But in return, I'll need you to write my name in the snow some place, because part of me should be enjoying the snow!! *lol*