October 03, 2007

Suddenly

Against sky

In spring time, green creeps slowly over the landscape, and by May, my eyes have adjusted to the lush green world around me. After a whole summer, I'm used to green lawns and green lilac bushes and green foliage in my woods so thick you can't see for more than ten feet.

But in early October, a maple tree that has been green for months, a tree that I drive past every day on my way to work, will suddenly turn red as the cholorophyll drains from its leaves, leaving them glowing and translucent. When I stand under a maple tree on a sunny day, I feel completely surrounded by brilliant colour.

It's spectacular because it happens so quickly, practically overnight. And it happens on such a large scale, branches and branches of leaves, whole tall trees, entire groves of trees, hillsides and mountains full of trees. Even though I've lived in this landscape my whole life, the sudden bursting colour still catches me by surprise, sort of the way I feel when I look at my youngest child, sitting quietly on the couch reading a book, and notice his long black eyelashes, his lovely clear skin, his silky hair, and think to myself again, with a sudden surge of feeling, what a beautiful child he is.

18 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

lovely leaves. I'm jealous.

Overeducated Twit said...

Incredible colors.

Zhoen said...

I so want teleportation, from this dry yellow fall to that wet red one, if only for an afternoon.

Of course he's beautiful. Because you can see it.

jodi said...

I love your way with words. And the photo is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

beautiful, all of it.

Cathy said...

This happens sometimes in late November ---- sometimes we can have a pretty colorful fall, sometimes not. All depends on the weather conditions here in south GA.

Yankee T said...

oooh, terrific post, jo(e). You bring his face to life with your words, as you do the tree with your photo.

Linda said...

Beautiful....

Sarah Sometimes said...

gorgeous pic. in my next life I want to live in your neck of the woods....

Kyla said...

That photo sucked the breath out of me. Beautiful, so very beautiful.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful picture! We down here in the south don't get color changes quite yet. I'm looking forward to seeing them now.

kathy a. said...

wow wow wow! the colors are just fabulous. and your boy, you are capturing him at this moment, knowing that the moment will pass and not return.

duopastorale said...

GHow DO you do that? The photo is absolutely stunning!! There is nothing I like better than Autumn colours. They are just beautiful.

A- said...

Oh, I feel like it's sudden too, all of it. Thank you for saying so.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Glorious! I am looking forward to this, if it ever gets cold here.

And yes, the children are incredibly beautiful when sitting still reading...

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo! You know, I have NEVER seen autumn in the East.

Anonymous said...

I read this post a few days ago -- and the words are still swirling around in my head. Especially as I look at my boys, in the fall sun...

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I, too, love your way with words. And the photo is beautiful--gorgeous--great great colors.