January 12, 2010

Three notes at a time

In preparation for my very first piano lesson, With-a-Why and Shaggy Hair Boy began teaching me a few things on the piano. With-a-Why started with the basics, “Okay, this is middle C," but pretty soon he was giving me directions that were already too difficult for me: "Okay, now try playing the C scale with both hands."

Over break, I did learn to play a few simple songs from on old piano book that With-a-Why used when he was about seven years old. None of the songs have more than three notes in them, which is just about what I can handle right now.

One evening Boy in Black walked over with his guitar and started accompanying me. It actually sounded pretty good. “See, we’re jamming,” he said with a grin.

Another time Shaggy Hair Boy sat next to me on the bench and started playing along with me. The simple notes sounded much better when he played along. He showed me some of the chords.

“Do you think I can learn to play the piano?” I asked him. It was a real question. After all, I’m 48 and I’ve never played a musical instrument. I’ve never even been able to carry a tune.

He gave me an exasperated look. “You are learning to play the piano. Right now.”

Oh, right.

6 comments:

Rana said...

*laughs*

Liz Miller said...

You're jammin'!

Krista said...

I think it's so cool that you're doing this. I've been meaning to resume piano lessons ever since I started my MA. I played for six years, but quit when I was 14.

rented life said...

Your kids are great! I taught myself piano when I was little. You can do it!

Bardiac said...

I, too, loved the jammin' bit :)

curiosity said...

Piano is such a strange, fun mind-game -- I'm a music student, but playing my primary instrument didn't really prepare me to move my hands in different directions in different rhythms at the same time.
And jamming will only get better and better!

I think this is my first time commenting, so just want to say that I've been reading your blog for a while now, and I want to be as interesting a person as you when I grow up :-)