June 08, 2010

On my way home

I spent from 9 am until 4 pm inside a conference room, meeting with colleagues and making plans for the next academic year. My day was productive and the work I did necessary, but as I drove home, I felt like I’d missed the whole day because I’d spent it inside. The weather was sunny and cool, and it would have been perfect for gardening.

Then I remembered that it was Tuesday.

Just a few miles from my house, I turned into a gravel driveway, and drove up past a bunch of silos, then down a hill and around the side of a barn. Another woman was already there, lifting a bin of vegetables into her car. “Do you need anything extra?” Mrs. Farmer asked as I approached.

“Tomatoes,” I said. “I used them all up within three days last week.” I didn’t mention to her that I’d eaten them all myself: no one else in my family got any at all.

My two boxes were already filled with vegetables, but she lifted the lid to add a few more tomatoes. “Which greens do you want?” she asked. “Pick two bunches.” I chose the swiss chard with its bright red/purple lines and the kale with its curly green ruffles. Greens pretty much taste alike to me so I just pick the prettiest ones.

We chatted for a few minutes. It was her birthday: she’s four years older than me. We went to the same high school, just up the road. “This is the first week for beets,” she said. “We’re having some for dinner tonight.”

The two boxes of veggies fit nicely onto the back seat. The car filled with the scent of fresh basil. I waved goodbye and pulled out of the driveway, looking forward to the salad I’d be eating in just a few minutes.

8 comments:

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

You got TOMATOES from your CSA? In June? I'm in shock.

We won't get tomatoes until August. It hasn't got above 70 degrees here yet. I'm eating bok choy! (I like bok choy but I LOVE tomatoes!)

jo(e) said...

They grow the tomatoes first in a green house and then in a big tunnel that acts like a green house, even though the tomatoes are in the ground. Gardeners like me won't have tomatoes until August.

Cathy said...

Where's the picture? I wanted to see your CSA loot!

jo(e) said...

Cathy: Oh, good idea. Next week I'll take a picture of the veggies I get. I want to take some photos of the farm as well.

Barbara said...

Silly question but what does CSA stand for? We can get veg deliveries here but there's always too much in the box and I can't stand waste!

jo(e) said...

Actually, that's a good question. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. With a CSA farm, people like me buy a share up front, and then throughout the season we get a bin of vegetables every week. If it's a good year, we get more; if it's dry year, we get less.

BrightenedBoy said...

This made me hungry.

Liesl said...

CSA farms are just the bees' knees..we have several here and each one raises delicious crops.