February 27, 2012

The old red barn

The old red barn

When I was a kid, we kept a horse in this barn, an appaloosa. I’d go out early in the morning on a winter day to bring her a coffee can of sweetfeed, a flat of hay, and a red bucket of water that had to be awkwardly lugged from the tap in our cellar. When I mucked out her stall, I’d fill a wheelbarrow with manure to toss into the compost pile, a heap that grew so warm that snakes loved to curl up there on cool spring days.


Anonymous said...

Looks like it's been through some weather!

jo(e) said...

Did blogger change the comment format again? Weird.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

What a nice memory! I did my first master's thesis ont he free ranging appaloosas. So pretty.

Phil said...

Well, THAT's why you can write and I can't. That picturesque rural east which is indispensable to good literature. ;-)

When was the last time the canoe felt water on its keel?