February 10, 2013

Sparkles

Winter morning

Sometimes the snow we get here is wet and heavy, good for making into snowballs, snowmen, and snow forts with tunnels that lead into cave-like rooms. Sometimes we get snow as fine as talcum power: when a strong wind comes through, the snow rises and dances through the trees the way dust will swirl after a fast-moving truck on an old dirt road. On a windless day, fluffy snow will pile up on the branches of trees, on steps and stumps and lawn chairs left outside by accident. Sometimes snow mixes with rain and freezes onto tree branches until the river birches in my yard shimmer with ice.

DSC_1201

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Throw a snow ball (or a dozen) over here to Tennessee! ;) This is Mary Ann (aka Joy from WI), now in TN. I miss snow.

We DO get it here-

"An inch and a half! THAT was snow? Really??" I wanted to shout out last week. Sigh...

Had t come and see you Jo(e). Do you know my nephew, Brian (without the Y) is five?? Seems like only yesterday you posted to my old blog...

Enjoy your snow and think of me wistfully looking from afar! 8)
Mary Ann

JaneB said...

Those are lovely pictures. It's a dank grey British winter day here, rain and sogginess and a damp gloomy cold that sneaks into every crack despite it being barely zero (celsius) - nice to see some sun light and sparkles!

jo(e) said...

Mary Ann (AKA Joy) -- I do love the snow. And I like getting enough of it that we can actually have fun with it.

jo(e) said...

JaneB: Yes, I'll take snow over a dark, cold reain any day. Snow is warmer because you can brush it off -- you don't get soaked through.

Karen said...

Green (and soggy) with envy here in south eastern PA. I realized the other day that it's been two years since my kids have been sledding....

Anonymous said...

:)
Mary Ann (AKA Joy)

Write The Way To The Top said...

Hey Joe,

I love your blog. Really jealous looking at those photos though. I live in Ireland so the nearest thing we get to snow is hailstones.

Laura-Ashley
Write The Way To The Top