September 26, 2013

Dances with fabric

Dances with fabric

When Quilt Artist volunteered to be my roommate last weekend in the mountains, she knew full well the responsibility that came with that role. Yes, that’s right. She would have to pose naked for the blog. It’s a tradition.

She didn’t protest when I asked. In fact, she’d come prepared. “I’m going to pose with a piece of fabric,” she said, pulling a long blue-and-green cloth out of her bag. That’s what I call cooperation. A roommate who brings a prop.

Quilt Artist works with fabric every day. Her studio bursts gorgeously with colour, piles of fabric with lovely textures that make you want to touch them. I’ve heard her talk about the relationship between humans and fabric, a relationship that begins immediately after birth, when an infant is wrapped in a soft cloth. In her case, it's a relationship that she's cultivated. Making beautiful quilts began as a hobby but became her career and established her as a serious artist.

To pose for my blog, Quilt Artist stripped off her clothes, went out into the deck of the camp, and began dancing with the piece of fabric, with the wind from the lake blowing her hair about. It seemed utterly appropriate, at least to me. The folks moving up and down the lake in boats may have thought otherwise.

You can read more about the history of the naked blogging project and check out the gallery of photos. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shot! I love how the wind is catching at her hair -- and I love all the silver in her hair.

S.

Sandy said...

Beautiful.

Zhoen said...

As ever, a peek into how beautiful we all are, with a touch of vulnerability and openness.

Cindy said...

Another beautiful woman poses!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this project.

L.

Liz said...

I love the way her hair and the fabric are swaying.

Magpie said...

love.

and, this will sound odd maybe, but i love how androgynous she is.

Urban Sophisticate Sister said...

I was pretty positive this was actually YOU (doesn't it look like you?) until I noticed the one thing she left on - a ring - which you don't wear~ funny!