March 26, 2015

Through the glass

Through the glass

“How do you get people to pose naked for you?” That’s the first thing people ask when they find out about my naked photo project. I admit, that when I’m at a conference, surrounded by academics who don’t know me at all, it sometimes takes a little work to find a volunteer. But when I’m spending a weekend with my Wild Women friends, it’s a different story. My friends are most cooperative.

Last weekend, for instance. We’d just carried in pots of soup and bags of food, and we were exploring the lodge where we’d be staying, when Quilt Artist said to me, “Did you see the stonework in the big shower?” She made me go up the stairs and step inside the shower to admire it. That’s when it occurred to me that I could take advantage of an artist’s love of texture.

“This stonework would look great in a photograph,” I said to her. “You could pose naked in here.” I find it’s best to get to the point quickly.

“Heck, we could ALL post naked in here,” said Denim Woman, who had come up with us. She was right. The shower, which had a glass wall, was huge. All ten of us could have taken a shower together.

“That would be the environmentally responsible thing to do,” I pointed out. But I know better than to try for a group shot of naked women. It’s too much work. As soon as they get their clothes off, they start joking around and getting into ridiculous poses, with no regard for the poor photographer who is trying to take a SERIOUS photo.

So instead, I waited the next morning until Quilt Artist was about to take a shower — and I invited myself along. “I’ll spray some water on the glass door,” she said. “I think that would look cool.”

Later, when we all sitting downstairs with bowls of soup, we’d have serious conversations about our changing relationships with our bodies as we learn how better to take of ourselves. But our conversation during the shower wasn’t serious at all. I kept shouting things like, “Spray some more water on the glass” while she shouted back, “I’m trying to wash my hair” and I just kept snapping photos while she scrubbed herself clean.

Read more about the history of the naked blogging project and check out the gallery of photos.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

The naked photo tradition continues! I love it.

Heidi said...

Beautiful!

Amber said...

Lovely photo! Lovely stonework! That is quite the impressive shower.

Anonymous said...

I love how cooperative your friends are!

T.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love it, how fun!!!! You have so much fun!!!! I MISS YOU!!! (So sorry I had the flu at Christmas! WAHN!)

Zhoen said...

I do rather like the idea of a nude photo with everyone pulling faces and acting goofy.

UsedtoBlog said...

You have such beautiful friends.

undine said...

This photo is lovely, as always--and I seriously covet that shower.

Tie-Dye Brother-in-law said...

If all 10 of you are in the shower together, who'd be taking the picture?

I'd be happy to volunteer my services...

:-)

Liz Miller said...

I do so love this series.