June 19, 2015

Laptop rainstick

A couple of days ago, when I picked my laptop computer up off my desk, I heard a pleasant chiming sound, rhythmic like rain on a tin roof. I looked around to see what on my desk had caused the noise, but saw nothing. Half an hour later, I stood up from the chair where I'd been writing emails. As I tilted the laptop, I heard the noise again, like a small pebble trickling through spikes of wood or metal. It lasted just a few moments, but this time, there was no doubt where it was coming from.

Yes, my laptop computer had become a rainstick.

Despite my love of chimes, rainsticks, and other pleasant noises, I felt a bit panicky about the fact that SOMETHING was rattling inside my computer. So I sent my computer off on a little vacation, and I'm happy to report that she's back and working fine. The noise was coming from a little piece of plastic broken off the thing that holds the battery. No big deal.

Being without a computer for a couple of days was actually kind of relaxing. I think I need to do it more often. But right now I have to go answer the hundreds of emails that piled up during the last two days.

6 comments:

Mwa said...

The horror!
On the other hand, maybe I could use that kind of situation as an excuse to finally get an apple thing.

Mr. Shife said...

Glad all is well with the computer. I wish I had more will power to stay off the computer during the day. I might be addicted.

Marty said...

How odd. I thought at first that your computer had managed to acquire a new sound ap all by itself.
Yes, I need to take mine in to have my security software updated, which means that I develop a sudden urge to write and communicate with the world.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Funny how those emails add up:)

Jeanie said...

Panicky indeed! I'm so glad it wasn't anything too serious.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I thought you were going to say it was some kind of notification ding- like I get on my iphone, but I forget laptops don't do that. I'm glad it was nothing serious and everything is back to normal! Have a great weekend!