July 28, 2015

Early morning on the west coast

Quileute Marina

I woke up early to the sound of ocean surf. I dressed quickly, grabbing my fleece and my camera, and walked down to the marina to watch the fishing boats leave for a day's work. I love the sounds of a marina: the clinking of metal when the boats rock in the wind, the slap of hoses and knocking of buckets as the fishermen work, the squawking of seagulls as they circle about in hopes of a snack. This fishing village, home to the Quileute people, is over 800 years old.

My husband and I have travelled to the west coast for a week-long vacation. We've been hiking mountains, exploring tide pools, walking beaches, and eating in little local diners. The weather has been cool and misty, which feels wonderful this time of year. My body tends to stay on east coast time no matter where I go, which means that I wake up at dawn, just like the fishermen in this little village, and that gives me an extra couple of hours to myself each morning, to walk the misty beaches and docks.

6 comments:

DJan said...

I live near the waterfront here in Bellingham, and there's nothing quite like the sound and sights of a harbor in the morning. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Gail said...

I have never heard the sounds of an early morning harbor. The picture is beautiful.

Elephant's Child said...

Oooh.
How I would love to walk those walks with you.

Mwa said...

I loved that when I went to New York City: I was travelling alone, up at six each morning, and exploring the city, and then in bed by nine because nightlife wasn't really what I went there for.

EG CameraGirl said...

A beautiful area!

DJan said...

Staying on East Coast time also means that you probably go to bed when I do, around sunset in the summer. :-)