August 31, 2015

And the season changes

August

This morning, I had to wake up to an alarm clock, put on real clothes, and drive to campus. Fall semester has begun. I don't know how it happened, but somehow another summer has gone by. 

Gardens are filled with black-eyed susans and bright sunflowers. We're still eating zucchini. I spent yesterday evening chopping up tomatoes, filling quart bags to put in the freezer.

With-a-Why, my youngest, is entering his junior year of college. A music major, he's auditioning for a jazz singing group, so he spent last night at the piano, playing and singing The Girl From Ipanema. Boy-in-Black and Beautiful Smart Wonderful Daughter, who had come by and were just hanging out in the living room, offered helpful suggestions as he practiced scatting. When Boy-in-Black took a turn at scat, he sounded like the bear in The Jungle Book.

My son Shaggy Hair Boy and his wife Smiley Girl are back from their honeymoon. They both teach in the public high schools in Snowstorm City so they will going back to work soon. My daughter, a clinical psychologist, starts her final internship tomorrow. And Boy-in-Black started a new job a few weeks ago.

So we're all busy. I'm always sad to see summer end, but I'm looking forward to everything that fall brings: homemade apple pies, a weekend in the mountains, get-togethers with friends, and a crackling fire at the hearth.

12 comments:

L said...

YAY YAY YAY to the Girl from Ipanema. Tell him he's got to learn to sing the lyrics in Portuguese. The English version is not a faithful translation. I've got a handout with the translation (not for singing, just the meaning) if he'd like to check it out. I just gave it to my students last week as we listened to this most famous Brazilian song on the first day of classes. I hope your son plays/sings other Bossa Nova tunes!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like a busy house! I always miss not going "someplace" or sending someone "someplace" this time of year:)

Elephant's Child said...

Yay for autumnal joys - and comfort.

gz said...

Sounds like you had a good Summer..ours was a bit short on sun!

DJan said...

I always smile at your pseudonyms for the family but now feel like I know them a little. I'm glad for the end of this hot dry summer. It's been raining for days now and I'm happy to see it! :-)

beemama said...

I miss your lanky teenagers, muddy from Ultimate, draped on your furniture with all their friends...and then I realize that my babies have become your lanky teenagers, occasionally muddy from Ultimate (but more often soccer), draped across my furniture with their friends...and I realize that as the seasons change, I want to make sure that I give them wings and ambition as you have yours, but also strong roots so they want to come home.

Happy fall. Our term started a few weeks back, and like yours, we're a "school house" with 3 of the 4 of us headed to different campuses. May your coffcoffee be strong and the transition easy!

beemama said...

I miss your lanky teenagers, muddy from Ultimate, draped on your furniture with all their friends...and then I realize that my babies have become your lanky teenagers, occasionally muddy from Ultimate (but more often soccer), draped across my furniture with their friends...and I realize that as the seasons change, I want to make sure that I give them wings and ambition as you have yours, but also strong roots so they want to come home.

Happy fall. Our term started a few weeks back, and like yours, we're a "school house" with 3 of the 4 of us headed to different campuses. May your coffcoffee be strong and the transition easy!

beemama said...

I miss your lanky teenagers, muddy from Ultimate, draped on your furniture with all their friends...and then I realize that my babies have become your lanky teenagers, occasionally muddy from Ultimate (but more often soccer), draped across my furniture with their friends...and I realize that as the seasons change, I want to make sure that I give them wings and ambition as you have yours, but also strong roots so they want to come home.

Happy fall. Our term started a few weeks back, and like yours, we're a "school house" with 3 of the 4 of us headed to different campuses. May your coffcoffee be strong and the transition easy!

Jeanie said...

Sounds like a very busy, beautiful life. The sunflower photo is terrific!

Rev Dr Mom said...

Nothing makes me feel the passage of time (not even seeing my own family change) like hearing from afar about a friend's family growing up! And then I realize that I found your blog 10 years ago! Amazing. What a journey.

Your house must feel very empty, though. Hope the kids aren't too far away!

Liz Miller said...

What rev. Doctor mom just said!!!

jo(e) said...

Rev Dr Mom -- Oh, my kids (as well as three nieces) are all still in town so my house is often full on weekends or holidays.