April 11, 2005

Food meme

Favorite food to crunch: Carrots.
Favorite comfort food: Vegan chocolate cake. With hot tea.
Food that makes the best noise: Meat dripping and sizzling on a campfire.
Favorite picnic lunch: Cheese, green apples, and a baguette. In Paris. On a green bench. At a park. On the first warm day of spring.
Favorite food scene in movie: Spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp
Favorite food lyrics: There was milk and toast and honey and a bowl of oranges, too/And the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses (Joni Mitchell, Chelsea Morning).
Least favorite food lyrics: On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed.
Best food smell memory: The smell of vinegar on French Fries makes me remember buying fish and chips wrapped in newspaper in London.
Favorite summer snack: Watermelon. You dump it out of the bilge of the boat and into a spot between two rocks, where the river water will keep it cold until it's time to slice it up.
Food that reminds me of the ocean: Noodle soup and peanut butter crackers. When we camp in sand dunes, that is what we eat for lunch every day.
Favorite winter snack: Dark chocolate and hot herbal tea.
Most likely to eat for lunch: Broccoli in garlic sauce.
Least likely to eat for lunch: Snickers Energy Bar.
Makes me gag: Clams.
Food tradition I hate: When a bride and groom at a wedding smash cake into each other's faces. Makes me want to scream.
Saturday night food: Popcorn and lemonade at the movies.
Favorite wild foods: Strawberries.
Favorite food for sex play: Chocolate syrup.
Favorite medicinal food: Cranberry juice. For urinary infections.
Food that reflects my heritage: The potato. And spaghetti sauce.
Food most like me: The pretzel.
Favorite raw food smell: Fresh basil. Chopped.

Someone told me that memes are supposed to have rules. But I'm not so good with the rules. Do whatever the hell you want.

5 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

I hope you've seen that Bitch Ph.D. called you perfect. You've hit the big time now, girlfriend!

Psycho Kitty said...

Ah, the Bitch always speaks the truth! :)

Dr.K said...

This post also didn't give me the heebie-jeebies at all--maybe it's a sign of me making some progress. My other favorite words these days are "creepy" and "snarky," neither of which apply to this post either. No snarky comments from creepy people like me.
Hey, Jo(e), can I tell you just one favorite food smell memory? At my aunt's house in Canada in the winter when I was little, my mom and her sister and their aunts, the ladies making cabbage rolls, sausage, creamy chicken paprikas, and dumplings, all speaking rapid-fire Hungarian in the steamy, overheated kitchen. It was strong stuff, meat-heavy food, spicy and pickly. I was a boy and wasn't really supposed to be in the kitchen with the women, but I was young enough to get away with it. The smell of cabbage and paprika, along with the odd, staccato rhythmn of spoken Hungarian, to this day gives me this feeling of solid warmth and belonging, tinged with a touch of adventure, since it always came on visits to immigrant relatives living somewhere across town or across the border.

jo(e) said...

K: What a great memory. And to this day, you like food and cooking and women ....

Dr.K said...

Sure--maybe I like food a little too much, though.