June 27, 2006

Duck!

One of the games my kids play in the summer time is frisbee golf. I've never played the game myself, but as far as I can see, frisbee golf involves a bunch of teenagers winging frisbees at a target and then cheering when they hit it. They move around the yard in a gang, frisbees in hand, and they call the targets holes, perhaps to justify the name of the game since the targets are almost always trees and certainly not holes.

It's good to know when a game is in progress because walking out the back door can be dangerous.

Sometimes I'll be sitting peacefully on the couch, and I'll hear a serious of thuds as frisbees collide against the house, coming dangerously close to the glass windows behind me. "How can their aim be so bad that they are hitting the house?" I used to wonder. But often I was too caught up in the book I was reading to bother to check out the situation. It was easier to just keep my fingers crossed. One of my extras once put a golf ball through the sliding glass door, and you'd think I would have learned from experience, but hot weather makes my brain mushy.

Finally one time, after hearing repeated thuds, I stepped outside to check out the situation. No, it wasn't my imagination. As I watched, Shaggy Hair Boy took aim and flung a frisbee straight at the house.

"Hey, jo(e)! You ought to duck!" First Extra yelled helpfully as the object went hurtling past my head.

"WHAT IS GOING ON? IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE AIMING RIGHT AT THE HOUSE!"

Boy in Black gave me a patient look, like a parent about to explain something to a very small child.

"Well, of course," he said. "The corner of the house is the sixth hole."

17 comments:

Chip said...

And you said... ??

Liz Miller said...

Oh, please tell me he didn't just go there.

'Cause the house, isn't it always out-of-bounds? Except for stoop-ball, of course.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

ummmmmm.... it's a good thing they have pretty good aim?

OTRgirl said...

"Boy in Black gave me a patient look..." I love that he didn't even blink.

BTW, my brother is on a professional frisbee golf circuit in Seattle. At least there they have official courses with an asphalt strip for the 'tee' and hanging metal baskets for the 'hole'. It might be a prudent investment to make the teens build some official holes?

jo(e) said...

Chip: See, that's the problem. Whatever Boy in Black says always sounds so logical. So I just shrugged and said, "Oh, okay," and went back into the house. They haven't broken anything yet....

OTRgirl: There's an official course over at Pretty Colour Lakes Park. So sometimes they go over and play that course.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Ai-yi-yi!!! Boys! LOL! I love our pieces, jo(e)! :-D Mary

PS I have to say that my daughters never did that! :-D tee hee!

Karen said...

I LOVED frisbee golf! There was a course on my University campus that we played on. The "holes" were baskets tied to trees. Fabulous game, hope you dont' lose a window (or an eye) Jo(e)!

ScienceWoman said...

We've played that madcap version of frisbee golf in our yard. But inevitably a frisbee ends up on the roof of our one story house. Maybe we should go to a real course.

jo(e) said...

Sciencewoman: Oh, the kids are always climbing onto the roof to get a frisbee.

Mona Buonanotte said...

I secretly love it when my children treat me like a kid and speak with their logic ("oh silly mama!"). I realize how smart and observant they really are!

Chip said...

ah, just one of the joys of having bright, articulate and logical kids...

will smama said...

Ah yes, my husband has designed a course around the church grounds that goes near one busy road and across another. It is a one stroke penalty if the frisbee goes into the busy road and of course a two stroke penalty if you hit a car... but only if it is moving.

Silver Creek Mom said...

I would started to laugh and say yeah well the sixth hole has just been changed to the club house and is not a hole.

Can't be both.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the bithday wishes. She did have a good day...and she'll have an even better one on Sunday at her party on Sunday.

Hugs
Sharon

Yankee, Transferred said...

My kids are not nearly outdoorsy enough.

Heidi the Hick said...

Aren't you glad they're not playing video games? I would be!

Also, your account of your son's speech and performance brought tears to my eyes. What a brave young man. He singlehandedly proved his point in the face of both approval and disapproval.

jo(e) said...

Heidi: Yeah, that is how my kids get away with doing all sorts of crazy things -- I am pretty much happy so long as they are away from the televison and computer. I am willing to take the risk of them damaging the house ....

And yeah, Boy in Black is an amazing young man.

Leslee said...

Of course!