June 19, 2006

Things change as they get older

Every time one of my children has a birthday, I ask the night before for "the last four-year-old kiss" or the "last eight-year-old kiss." When the kids were little, I always managed to get that last kiss because I was usually the person putting them to bed. As the kids have gotten older, I have not always been the one to get that last kiss.

This year, my daughter is not even home on the eve of her birthday. On her last day as a teenager, she is driving home from a concert miles and miles away.

So instead of getting a kiss, I got her last nineteen-year-old text message.

10 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WAHN! Of course we want them to grow up and lead happy productive lives, but then when they leave home, there are no last 29-year-old kisses or last 31-year-old-kisses! (The ages of my children this year before their birthdays). Sara will be 32 next week! She's the proud owner of a new house!

XOX Mary :-D

Anonymous said...

My oldest will be turning 20 much too soon. Hard to believe! All of my children wanted to be at Bonnaroo this year but it just didn't work out. And to be honest, after attending a Dave Matthew's Band concert last week, I wanted to be there too!

Yankee, Transferred said...

Sweet SmartBeautifulWonderful Daughter. Turning 20? Yikes. I know I'll freak.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Daughter owes you that kiss!

Suzanne said...

Can text messages be saved (asks this cell phone ingenue), at least?

jo(e) said...

Suzanne: Yeah, text messges can be saved ... but she'll be home tonight in time to celebrate her birthday, and we can hear all about her concert experiences.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

At least she thought of you whilst out having fun!

Cup said...

jo(e): I love your blog. Hope you don't mind that I added a link to your page on my blogroll.

Liz Miller said...

Happy Birthday to SmartBeautifulWonderful Daughter!

jo(e) said...

Beth: Thanks for the link. I consider it a compliment.