December 21, 2007

Frozen

Frozen

I left the house early this morning to run a few errands before a busy day of cooking and cleaning. Warm air moving across the snow-covered fields had created a mist that was coating tree branches with ice. I stopped on a road near my house and got out of the car to take a quick photo. The sun was just beginning to shine through the mist. I breathed in the moist air and looked out across the quiet, empty fields. The snow, which had a crusty, frozen layer on the top, crunched under my boots.

I heard a hum behind me, as a car slowed down and then pulled up next to me. I turned.

"Are you okay?" a man called out from inside his car.

"Just taking a photo, " I said, waving my little point-and-shoot camera at him.

He nodded, looking a bit incredulous, and kept driving. I took another moment to enjoy the stillness of the winter morning, but then got back into my car before another worried neighbor could stop to check on me.

7 comments:

Ampersand said...

That's beautiful. I love the stillness of the morning, especially in winter (or almost winter).

I too get concerned questions and looks when I pull the car over. But in my hectic suburb, I also get honks and annoyance.

Merry Christmas!

Cathy said...

Beautiful picture - I can imagine that people would check on you in the weather as it is. thank you for sharing scenes of a world we don't have down here.

purpleteardropsofhappilymarriedness said...

it seems every time you try to take a great shot somebody always tries to come to your rescue, its nice to have people who will help, but do you ever get tired of having to explain each time?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm glad people ask if you need help. I've had that happen too. I also remember a time I was walking a bit of a distance to my house, well, I think it was a trailer (I roomed with a friend for a short time). So, I was walking and walking in the cold, at early evening. A friend told me later she didn't stop because she thought I wanted to walk! Ugh!

I wanted to let you know I have a request at my blog for help with Chritmas decorating. LoL Just a little tree that needs help!

Everyone, come and see the little tree, if you'd like. Thanks!

(I rhink if you click my name my blog comes up, but just in case...)

http://dancingflamingo.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

How excellent that you live in a community where people stop to ask if you need help. I wish there were more places like that.

Lovely picture, as well.

BeachMama said...

I have to echo what MonkeyPants Said. It is so wonderful that someone stopped by to see how you were.

And that is a beautiful photo, you have so much talent.

Estrella said...

What a gorgeous photo!