December 06, 2007

Ready

Hanging

From now until spring, the laundry room off our kitchen will be filled with winter clothing. We've got wire racks for mittens and gloves on the wall above the heater, and another wall is filled with hooks for coats and snowpants. On weekends when we've got all kinds of extra kids, the little laundry room can't contain all the clothes: we have hooks on both the inside and outside of the bathroom door, hooks on the door to the basement, hooks on the door to the garage. And every wooden chair is usually draped with a winter coat as well.

We are not a household that spends much money on clothing, but I will spend money on good outerwear. The only way to enjoy the winter in Snowstorm region is to have warm gloves, polypropylene long underwear, and most of all, good socks. I wear thick ski socks, the kind that go all the way up to my knees, under my jeans on most days, even when I am going to class rather than skiing.

Last week, as I pulled all the plastic bins from the garage and began matching up gloves to put them on the wire racks in the laundry room, I felt excited about all the winter activities coming up: snowboarding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing. Last year, a knee injury kept me inside by the fire, so I am looking forward to being outside this year, enjoying all this wonderful snow.

14 comments:

Linda said...

When do you plan to make your first trip to the slopes?q

jo(e) said...

We might go Sunday. We've had lots of good snow this week.

Cathy said...

I guess you go to extremes - lots of clothing or with your girl friends, none at all :).

jo(e) said...

Well, after wearing so many layers of clothes all winter long, you can see why I like to strip naked when we finally got a warm, sunny day.

Silver Creek Mom said...

LMAO at your last response!

I wish I had your laundryroom. I have it all in the kitchen. It's too keep it off the floor that drives me nuts!!!

Have fun when you do go. I soo Need new CC ski boots. I have 106 arces of Puffy snow calling me!

YourFireAnt said...

...exCEPT when she's at a conference, at which time the clothes come off, rain or shine, snow or ice or sun.

FA

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I got new boots and bindings for my snowboard (first in 8 years!) & am so excited to try them out I can hardly stand it. We're going up Sunday, too.

Have a good time!

Danny Bradfield said...

Wow. To this California kid, all that gear SO looks like something from another planet.

Rev.Dulce said...

I can't wait until the end of the month when I take my daughter to New Mexico. It will be her very first time on the slopes and she is dying to try snow boarding.

BeachMama said...

Wishing you a winter at the slopes with absolutely no injuries. I would feel terrible if you had to sit out another winter. Be careful out there.

Love the gear.

Fire Bird said...

I don't even know what those goggles and helmets ARE... but I'm guessing they're for skiing, not wanting to look a total idiot...?

jo(e) said...

Beachmama: Thanks for the good wishes. I admit that I am terrified of the damned chairlift. Once I get past that, I'll be fine.

Tall girl: Yeah, we wear helmets and goggles for downhill skiing or snowboarding.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I love your wall racks. I am going shopping today for some storage bins and I will look for something like that. We use a big laundry basket but it is hard to find matching gloves. Organization is key if you want to be prepared for fun!

jo(e) said...

Cloudscome: The racks that I use for the gloves come from the hardware store -- I think they are meant for canned goods. They don't take up much room, but having all the gloves on there makes a big difference because it's right above a heat vent, and they dry fast.

I find if everything isn't hung to dry right away, it starts to really smell by spring ....