September 05, 2008

Another naked brother-in-law

Toward the sun

It was probably the last swimming we'd do for the summer, the last hot day at camp that the extended family piled into boats to go out to an island and jump off the rocks into the water. I'd brought my camera and was wandering around the small island taking photos when it suddenly occurred to me that this might be the last chance all summer to get a naked photo for my blog. The same people who willingly strip for my blog on a summer day aren't quite as eager once the cold fall air moves in.

Blond Brother-in-law was draped on the wooden chair that sits on top of the highest rock on the island, looking as relaxed as only he can, his face turned toward the sun.

"Hey, Blond Brother-in-law," I called, as I snapped a photo, "When you wake up from your nap, will you pose naked for my blog?"

"Sure," he murmured sleepily. I don't know if he was even awake enough to know what I was saying, but I took that as consent. As a promise, really.

A few minutes later, when the heat from the sun had driven us all into the water again, I reminded him of his promise. Blond Brother-in-law loves to swim, whether the water is warm or cold, and he was diving through the waves like a creature at Seaworld. I swear, I could almost see flippers on him.

"How about an action shot?" I called. "Naked swimming?"

He yanked off his bathing suit and continued his splashing and flipping and kicking. Then he laughed and yelled over to his wife, Blonde Sister, who was hanging out with With-a-Why in the shallow area on the other side of the rock. "Hey! I'm posing naked for the blog!"

Fortunately, the noise of a passing motorboat drowned out Blonde Sister's reply because what I heard didn't sound all that supportive. In fact, it almost sounded like a note of disapproval, although perhaps that was my imagination. I mean, surely I must have heard something wrong. Naked blogging is a tradition, and everyone in my family LOVES traditions.

I snapped the photo quickly, and Blond Brother-in-law dove under to find the bathing suit he'd left at the bottom of the river.

Another blogging tradition upheld.

Another naked brother-in-law

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee. What a good sport he is!

Silver Creek Mom said...

I'm sure she was very supportive., Your hearing was wrong. ;)

Great shots.

Anonymous said...

Where's the zooom lens when ya need it?

kathy a. said...

hmm. i thought the first shot might be naked, but it is really even harder to tell anything about the second shot. tell blond sister that he listened.

Anonymous said...

Red-haired Sister says it doesn't count if you can't see buns...

Anonymous said...

Blogger is giving me attitude -- won't let me leave comments. Erg.

But I'm cheering for teh naked blogging tradition!!!!!!

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I haven't figured out why I like your blog, but I do. I stop by maybe once a month or so and catch up. Of course I never really feel behind to begin with, but...

Dread

Leslee said...

Some traditions are too important to let slip away.

jo(e) said...

Tie-dye Brother-in-law: Tell Red-haired Sister that I had a shot of him doing the backfloat that made him look WAY more naked but it showed his face ....

Anonymous said...

His FACE? That what we're calling it nowadays?

T.