September 24, 2008

Fashion Statement

Last night, while waiting for an event at a local university to begin, I scanned the crowd of faculty, staff, and grad students. I noticed that many of the older women were dressed in ways that were striking, but eclectic. I saw colorful sashes, flowing material, all kinds of bright accessories. I felt startled when I realized that I was probably as old as some of these women, even though I dress more like a student, in jeans and a t-shirt. It made me wonder what people saw when they were sitting somewhere watching me go by.

I figured I'd ask my daughter. "Hey," I said to her without preamble,"How would you describe the way I dress?"

She said, without hesitation, "Goopy."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what that even means, but it doesn't sound positive.

Tall Kate said...

What does that even mean?

(My word verification is gdffab -- doesn't that sound like god-damn fabulous? *THAT* must be what "goopy" means!)

Anonymous said...

*laughs*

I'd aim for something between comfy and outdoorsy myself, if I were describing your style.

Coorsy? Outfy? Tdorfy?

jo(e) said...

I didn't realize that the word goopy was regional slang. Or maybe it's just my family who uses it ....

Let's just say, it's not a compliment.

mryonker said...

Sounds better than "frumpy," which is what I'm getting from my daughter these days.

"Dang, ma, you dress FRUMPY." Must be these sensible shoes.

Anonymous said...

Now, if you'd worn your belly dancing costume or your cape, you would have fit in with eclectic.

Or gone naked.
That's definitely eclectic.

jo(e) said...

Good point PPB. If it's the clothes that make me goopy, then perhaps going naked is an option that I should seriously consider.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I haven't heard the word "goopy" used, either, but I don't have teenagers.

I'm not sure my daughter registers what I wear, but she's only 4 : )

YourFireAnt said...

Your daughter would never approve of naked. Nor your sons.

They actually like goopy, ya know.

FA

Anonymous said...

It's a family word, from Mom's side like "Goomer"

Yankee, Transferred said...

"Goopy" is a word in our family, too, but it means something totally sappy like a horrible birthday card. Use it in a sentence: "Dang, Ma, that birthday card is WAY goopy!"