March 02, 2010

Finally

At the beginning of February, I said to my students, “It’s February. The month that lasts forever.”

Some of the students looked puzzled, but I have former students in the class, and they knew immediately what I was talking about. “It’s 94 days long,” said Photographer Student, smiling.

“It’s going to be February for months and months,” said Woman with Bright Scarf.

On bitterly cold days, students came into the classroom, tossed down their books, and said, “Can you believe it? It’s STILL February.” On overcast mornings, when the world outside was grey and white, sleep-deprived students sighed and said, “Yeah, it’s still February.” Our discussions in class kept leading to depressing environmental issues, which didn’t do much to brighten the bleak February mood.

Yesterday felt like a holiday on campus. The sun was shining, warm enough that I almost didn’t need mittens. Students outside the library started a snowball fight, grabbing handfuls of white from the melting snowbanks and chunking them at anyone going by. Monday mornings are not usually a high energy day, but students came to class excited and happy, brushing bits of snow off their clothes. “FEBRUARY IS FINALLY OVER!” Flannel Shirt announced as he slid into a desk.

“It’s March! The month of spring break! And Saint Patrick’s Day!” said Fancy Glasses.

Everyone chattered excitedly as they moved the desks into a circle and rummaged through their bookbags. We were scheduled to discuss a story by one of my favourite authors, Rick Bass. Slam Poet Student had brought a poem to read aloud to us. We had only two weeks left until spring break. Suddenly, everything seemed right with the world.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really understand how you feel about February, but for me in Australia, even though I've hated how hot and humid February has been (the humidity has been much worse than normal this year) March was a bit bittersweet - for the first time this year I needed a jacket going out for the evening.

Still, autumn is just about my favourite season, so I mostly agree with you!

Rana said...

The month of my birthday!

(March, that is. Though I'm still disconcerted by how un-spring-like early March is in these parts. There should be grass and birds and flowers, not snow, for my birthday!)

landismom said...

This has been an exceptionally long February, too. I'm worried that we got the "came in like a lamb" version of March, personally. February might be coming back for a little bit.

aadsfsdfdf said...

Hi, Iam Krish from India. I have been following your blog for some time. I and my wife are ready to pose naked for your blog. Please tell what I need to do.

AF said...

Krishnan--just show up! If you're anywhere within a hundred feet of jo(e), she'll be after you with a camera. ;)

jo(e) said...

Krishnan: AF is right -- we just have to figure out how to be in the same place at the same time.

Amber S said...

Feb was a particulary excruciating month this year. Not one big thing, but a whole pile of medium-sized things. Ugh. So so glad it's over. The only thing keeping me going right now is knowing how close spring is.

p.s. I would pose naked for you too. Is that strange? Your pictures and discussion helped me see my body in a new, more respectful way. I mean, I say I would pose naked, but it would be interesting to see if I could really do it.

jo(e) said...

Amber S: Thanks for the compliment. If we're ever in the same city, let me know and I'll take a photo of you!

aadsfsdfdf said...

jo(e) & AF: 100 feet distance will be totally impossible. :) any other way? :)

Audrey Mango said...

It sounds like your class is a fun one to be in! :)