March 22, 2010

Listening to water

Listening to water

I spent five days of my spring break in silence.

Southern Retreat Center sits at the edge of a hill above Polluted But Scenic River in the City That Burned During the Civil War. The 20 acres of land once belonged to a rich woman who donated her summer home to a religious order, who began holding retreats there in 1961, the year I was born. The chapel has two walls of glass overlooking the river, and hiking trails lead down to the river and then through the woods to a waterfall.

Silence can be very restful. I’d pass other retreatants in the halls of the guesthouse and I’d sit with them at meals, but we never talked. We’d smile at each, hold doors open for each other, or pass silverware, but we didn’t exchange words. I was writing every day, working on my manuscript, and I loved that my train of thought was never interrupted.

That’s not to say I find silence easy. I don’t. I’m an extrovert, the kind of person who talks to everyone, and I’m used to a noisy household. All that introspection, all that time inside my head could easily drive me crazy. What saved me were all the water noises at this retreat place.

In the morning, when the sun warmed up the flagstones near the fountain outside my window, I’d go lie on the stones to feel their warmth and listen to the splash of the water. Several times each day, I walked down to the river and sat on a bench, listening to it rush past. My favorite spot was near the waterfall, where I could lie in the sun and hear water cascading down rock. If I looked in the other direction, I could see cars moving along a road, far away, people rushing past in their busy lives while I spent hours and hours just listening to water.

Swirling water

11 comments:

Cathy said...

That river travels down this way and is about thirty miles from where I live. Did you know it snowed today in that city that burned down during the Civil War?
Missed your posts. Look forward to hearing more.

Warwick Circle said...

very nice pictures

Amber S. said...

Being a strong introvert, I have to say that 5 days of silence sounds like bliss. I would be fascinated to try a silent retreat with others. I know of a couple of them, I just have to find (make) the time for one.

jo(e), I initially took you for an introvert because you (willingly) take several retreats over the year and you are so attuned to yourself and others. You're so insightful and thoughtful. I know so many extroverts that don't tend towards those qualities that I forget insightful, thoughtful, attuned extroverts do exist ;-)

jo(e) said...

Cathy: Yeah, I heard! It's hard for me to believe because so many flowers were in bloom last week.

Amber S: Aw, thanks for the compliment. But yeah, I'm a definite extrovert. A silent retreat really pushes me out of my comfort zone, but that's why I love it.

Amber S said...

I really admire your willingness to step outside your comfort zone, to seek it even. (Not only with silent retreats, but with high-wire tight rope walking or whatever that was you did up in those trees)

A playgroup of moms and four-year-olds is enough to jettison me far beyond my comfort zone LOL

my15minutes said...

Jo(e), I've spent two silent retreats at that same spot, one 8-day and one 5-day. There is nothing in the world so restorative to my inner life than those times of silence.... waking up and having a quiet mind. Heaven. You didn't by any chance go in Fr. Al's office did you? He has one of my paintings on his wall. :-)

my15minutes said...

These are a few of my photos from there. I have great memories there....

http://beth365.blogspot.com/2007/07/quality-of-mercy-is-not-straind.html

http://beth365.blogspot.com/2007/07/silent-retreat-for-birds.html

http://beth365.blogspot.com/2007/07/silent-retreat-waterfall.html

http://beth365.blogspot.com/2007/07/silent-retreat-brick-and-mortar.html

http://beth365.blogspot.com/2007/07/silent-retreat-room-with-view.html

jo(e) said...

Beth365: What's funny is that I can remember looking at those photos on your blog back in 2007 -- but that's before I had been to the retreat center. I have so much more of a context for those pictures now. Thanks for linking to them.

I didn't go into any of the offices; next time, I'll look for your painting.

Magpie said...

I love the sound of running water, the ocean, streams, even rain.

And that first photo of yours is so beautiful.

Melissa Sarno said...

I always wish for silence since I live in New York City- a place where this is virtually NO quiet, but I wonder if I would crave the noise if I was given more silence. Good thing to ponder. Happy to hear you made progress with your manuscript and writing
:-)

Rana said...

(o)