March 11, 2010

Spring break

We’ve had sunshine this week, and temperatures that have risen above freezing. The snow banks are melting, sending streams of water across grass and pavement. The igloo that students built on the quad has shrunk, and snow figures have toppled to the ground. The warmth has pushed students into spring break mode. “I’ve got three exams this week,” one student said in class. “But how can I study when it’s so nice outside?”

Break is almost here. I’ve got just one meeting in the morning, two classes to teach, and then I’m off. Boy in Black and Shaggy Hair Boy leave tomorrow with the Ultimate team, driving hundreds of miles to play Ultimate in a warmer climate. Beautiful Smart Daughter had her spring break this week: she’s been on a vacation in the southwest with my husband. They return today, and I’ll have a little time to spend with them before I leave for my spring break.

My break plans include traveling to a warmer climate, working on my book, going on a silent retreat, writing in my journal, and exploring a part of the country I don’t know very well. I’ll take photos, of course, but I’ll be offline for the next ten days. I’m looking forward to some sunshine and quiet.

8 comments:

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Hooray for sunshine! Have fun!

Lomagirl said...

Enjoy, Enjoy! I have grading to do and conferencing with students tomorrow, and then I, too, am on break!
My daughter asked when spring cleaning starts- I guess soon!

Kyla said...

Spring break! Sunshine! No class! Very exciting.

My last class is on Saturday, I cannot wait for it to be over. Relaxation, here I come!

Unknown said...

Have a lovely time!

Rana said...

Why, oh why, is our break apparently a week later than everyone else's?

jodi said...

Have a wonderful and relaxing time.

Xtin said...

Have a wonderful time. I hope your break brings you as much transporting delight as your fervent, vivid writing brings me.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I'm on spring break too. I've just read back in your blog all the way to Christmas. I've missed keeping up with you & your family. Thanks for the stories & beautiful photos! It's very refreshing to go from midwinter to spring in one morning. Enjoy your spring sunshine!