July 11, 2011

Into the river

Into the river

Every afternoon at camp, we put on bathing suits and pile into boats: canoes and sailboats for some of us, a fast speedboat for Tie-Dye Brother-in-law, and a couple of old boats with very sketchy outboard motors for everyone else. The river has thousands of islands, but our favorite is just outside our bay: it’s got a shelf of rock that extends into the deep water for those who like to wade in gradually, several smaller islands to swim to, and a cliff for those who like to jump.

Taekwondo Nephew always leaps right off the island into the cold water right away, just so he can brag that he was the first one in. The rest of us spread out towels out on the rock, with the fair-skinned members of the family claiming the small patch of shade under the very small stand of pine trees. Then we spend the next couple of hours swimming, sunning, talking, and fighting over whatever snacks anyone thought to bring along.

Top photo: My daughter, four of my nieces, and Boy in Black’s girlfriend decide to take the plunge together.

Island life

8 comments:

Kyla said...

I bet the water is freezing up there! Our has reached bath water temperatures by this point in summer.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like heaven. In two weeks I'll be on Buzzard's Bay and I am really looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Great capture!

Phil said...

Watch out, the tide's gonna grab that canoe!

Unknown said...

Love that picture! Well, both of them.

Anonymous said...

Second Mom,

So the facebook photos I saw made me wander the internet looking for your blog. I finally found it and found my self sucked in reading posts from recently and years ago. It´s amazing the time that has passed and it´s great to see all the photos you have posted. I really like how you write, it´s incredibly enjoyable to read, however I have noticed a few typing mistakes here and there. :-P It's also really nice to see another person's views on the world. Plus the sarcastic humor of your girl and boys is always entertaining. All your trips look amazing and the pictures are amazing.

Just thought I'd share a few thoughts.

-Pirate Boy

I'll be sure to stop by the house before Spain.

jo(e) said...

Pirate Boy: We miss you here! Definitely come over before you leave for Spain.

BrightenedBoy said...

That looks like so much fun.