November 24, 2005

All Grown Up

When my children were little, I had this sense that I was going to have small children in the house forever, that I would spend the rest of my life picking up toys, wiping noses, telling a frustrated toddler to "use your words" or explaining to a bunch of energetic little ones that basketballs are "outdoor toys." It's a still a shock to me now that when my daughter comes home from college, and I realize that the little girl who once throw vegetables from her high chair tray is a mature, poised young woman.

Yesterday, I went with my older two children, two nieces, and an extra to see the movie Rent. We bought a large popcorn and a large soda, which we shared amongst the six of us. I ate a big handful of popcorn just before the movie started. Thirsty, I looked back at my daughter in the seat behind me and made hand motions to indicate that she should pass me the soda.

She gave me a smile and pretended not to understand the hand motions. I motioned again, exaggerating to indicate how thirsty I was. By then the gestures were attracting the attention of people around us. My daughter leaned forward and spoke quietly, in the kind of voice you use when you are talking to a small child: "Use your words."

13 comments:

Running2Ks said...

You've taught her so well. Happy Thanksgiving :)

~profgrrrrl~ said...

That's just priceless. Happy Thanksgiving!

BrightStar (B*) said...

what did you think of the movie?

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jo(e)!

Pink Cupcake said...

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Jo(e).

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

No one uses 'em better than you, jo(e).

jo(e) said...

Happy Thanksgving to all my commenters.

Brightstar: I liked the movie -- definitely worth seeing -- but I think you do lose something when you move a stage production to the screen. I"ve seen the Broadway version twice, and it's a play I really love, so it bothered me every time a bit of dialogue got cut to make it fit for the movie. A really important scene between Mark and Roger that takes place near the end of the play was cut entirely even though so much in the play leads up to the scene. Still, some parts were well done -- terrific acting and some great photography -- and the story was still moving.

EmmaNadine said...

I saw Rent today, and I agree with your assessment. I have seen it on the stage, and while the movie is great, it doesn't match the intensity of seeing it live. Of course, I cried twice during the movie, so it was still intense. And the actor that portrayed Angel was perfect.

Unknown said...

That's just too funny. I can see my college boy reaching that point where he feels like the one who is grown up and interacts in odd, amusing, exploratory ways that surprise me, too.

Kathryn said...

lol
It's soo true, isn't it. TeenWonder has long been the most adult member of the GoodinParts household, but last week I was walking past the local petrol station when I saw a rather lovely looking young lady filling up a car which looked rather like mine.
Pause.
Double take.
It WAS mine. And the young lady? DarlingDaughter, of course, but for a split second I truly didn't recognise her...Where did those years go?

nancy said...

LOL too funny!

moxiemomma said...

this just gave me goosebumps. because i want to be there, to see my children as grown up people, to know what silliness they will throw at me in the dark of a movie theater, but i don't want to give up my babies either.

Anonymous said...

That's the best!