November 02, 2005

Here's what Bender really says

Tonight With-a-Why was doing his homework right next to me while I was working at my desk. When I clicked over to my blog to read comments and admire once again Dr. MMmmmm's wonderful design, he saw the photo of himself dressed as the robot Bender. He hung over my shoulder saying, "You should let me read the story" until I gave up and let him read the post as well as the comments. Like Boy in Black, With-a-Why is a stickler for detail, and I sensed he was checking the story for accuracy.

With-a-Why: Mom!
Me: What is it?
With-a-Why: You got something wrong.
Me: What?
With-a-Why: It's not "Kiss my shiny metal ass."
With-a-Why: It's "Bite my shiny metal ass."
Me: I guess I remembered it wrong.
With-a-Why: You should change it.
Me: What? Doesn't it mean the same thing?
With-a-Why: I don't want people to think I would get a quote from Futurama wrong. People care about that kind of thing.
Me: Fine. I'll write a retraction.

With-a-Why: (reading the comments) How do people think you are funny?
Me: What do you mean?
With-a-Why: People say you are funny.
With-a-Why: But you aren't funny. We say funny things, and you just write it down.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is funny.

L said...

I love how kids are so honest... too bad they grow up :)
PS of course some do keep their candid honesty in their adult years.

Michael LeVan said...

OK, so you are observant of that which is humorous. And then you are compelling in the telling, which, IMHO, makes you funny.

sheepish said...

Watch out, or you could be out of a job here!

DaniGirl said...

Priceless - Mom as scribe and plagarist!! That got a genuine out-loud belly laugh from me...

Bad Alice said...

Talk about kids keeping you humble! Your family is a hoot.

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

There's a new subtitle for your blog: Passing on the funny.

delagar said...

I forget which comedian it was, maybe Steven Wright, said he didn't, in fact,say funny stuff -- he just pointed out stuff we already knew was funny. "You already know this shit is funny," he said, "you just forgot to laugh at it."

He said that was the genius of being a comedian -- knowing how to figure out what stuff folks forgot to laugh at.

So there you are.

RussianViolets said...

Ok, now I officially adore With-a-Why. :-)

Unknown said...

Ah, but you know *which* things are funny!

ccw said...

I truly love that boy! That really is funny.

halloweenlover said...

I love Pilgrim Heretic's new tag line! I definitely think you should add it!

He is too funny. I agree that it is the telling of the story that was the most amusing. Plus, the fact that you got your leg stuck in his sleeve is PRETTY funny!

Not Scott said...

Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm funny.

Liz Miller said...

He came by his brains honestly!

Yankee, Transferred said...

Oh, yes, I love With-A-Why. He is a scream.

bitchphd said...

you aren't funny. We say funny things, and you just write it down.

Note to self: don't teach PK to read.

Running2Ks said...

Ah, but you are the talent agent. Without you, they would have no public ;)

listie said...

I love With-a-Why! Not only is he cute, he's funny!

Ciona said...

Well, With-a-Why has a gift of both humor and honesty . . . oh to keep that when he's past 25!

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

My husband and boys have taken to saying, "Is that going on the blog?"

:)
Hh

moxiemomma said...

oh, i love that!