November 19, 2005

Ten Things I Love About Cold Weather

I think Fresh-Cut Flowers started this meme. And it’s possible that I changed it just a little bit.

10. I can use the oven without making my kitchen unbearably hot. (I swear, I cooked nothing the whole month of August.)

9. I don't have to lie on the floor and whine about how hot and humid the weather is.

8. I can walk in my woods with NO BUGS and NO POISON IVY. And I love the way that the ground crunches underfoot when it is frozen.

7. Ice Skating. It's just like flying, except you stay near the ground.

6. A fire in the fireplace makes everyone gather around with pillows and blankets, books and conversation.

5. Snowforts. Snow is the most wonderful substance if you get it in big quantities, which we do. A couple hours of work, and you can design your own home, complete with a cave to sleep in, tunnels to crawl through, a lookout tower to climb up. And snowball fights are a great way to vent anger and release tension without hurting anyone.

4. Skiing. Cross-country skiing is a wonderful way to see the woods in winter, especially on a moonlit night. And there's nothing quite like downhill skiing – that sensation of slipping, sliding, gliding, and knowing I could go out of control at top speed at any moment. The adrenaline makes me feel alive.

3. Snow makes the outside world beautiful. Curves of white, magically glinting ice crystals, and mounds of fluffy snow transform the landscape.

2. Winter storms cause us to slow down, break our plans, and stay home by the fire with hot tea, a good book, candles and lazy conversation.

1. Cold winter nights make getting into bed with another warm body seem like a wonderful and miraculous thing.

14 comments:

Limon de Campo said...

I love how positive you are; when I think of snow, I only think of negative things. I'm going to try to adopt your pleasant point-of-view.

jo(e) said...

Limon: Oh, I'm all positive at the beginning of the season. Ask me next March how much I like snow ....

zelda1 said...

Wow, I envy the snow. Mr. Zelda and I live Northwest Arkansas and while we have a little cold weather, and some ice, and some snow, we don't have a lot of snow. Certainly not enough to make forts and tunnels. My favorite sound is after an ice storm and the trees are covered and you step outside and all the traffic has stopped, and the ice begins to pop and sometimes the damaged limbs fall off. It's amazing.

Mrs. Coulter said...

Lovely! However, many of these things are only true in places that are cold *and* snowy. Cold weather in the middle tier of the country is just cold and icky. No fun snow stuff. I can bake without overtoasting the kitchen, but the house isn't properly insulated so it's chilly and drafty (downside of renting).

But all these things remind me of reasons why I have told Lee that when he is next on the job market, in his tenure year, I want to go North.

jo(e) said...

Yeah, it does help that I live in a really beautiful part of the country, near ski resorts and skating ponds. And Snowstorm City gets more snow than any other city in the lower 48, which means we get enough snow to do fun things with it.

Leslee said...

Hmm... I think my Meme was 10 reason why I HATE cold weather. But I'm glad God created the cold weather for someone!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to see fall go...it's my favorite, but winter is my 2nd favorite, for many of the reasons that you just mentioned (except cross country skiing...I'm too clutzy for that.)

PPB, AKA the poet's aunt

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mrs. Coulter about the middle states--you northerners get all the fun. And I've always wanted to learn how to cross country ski. Maybe this winter is the time!

Anonymous said...

no. 1 is lovely...and very true...
with you on insects as well. August is spider month totally.

Sue said...

Yes yes yes!!!

I love winter! (but like you, may change my mind sometime around March). I took up skating last year after many years away from it. I should post a picture of my amazing skates (blue suede no less!)....

L said...

Snow, snow, snow... I already said I wish we had some. I agree with Mrs. Coulter too, and I miss MA even more :)

I *ADORE* ice skating (I first did it, and fell in love with it in rink they used to have in a shopping mall in Brazil). Four years ago, when I was expecting my first boy I realized my long held dream to skate on a frozen lake, because we didn't have snow until the second week in January. It was beyond wonderful. I got to do it for two days before it snowed...

(On a tangent, I actually took two semesters of figure skating while I was still taking my graduate classes - now I'm wondering how that's going to look in my transcript for search committees -- do other people take "funny" classes in graduate school? I also took a "piano tuning" class :)

halloweenlover said...

I LOVE these 10 things. How true. Especially the slowing down and getting into bed with someone warm.

This winter I'm going to try and make some snow forts with tunnels. I missed out on that as a kid.

Running2Ks said...

And to go with your #1, if you have no reason to get out of bed in the morning, it is great to stay there :)

Anonymous said...

you r awsome i love the winter and i hate the summer i never wear a jacket and you must know how hot the summer is in northeast florida