I think Fresh-Cut Flowers started this meme. And it’s possible that I changed it just a little bit.
10. I can use the oven without making my kitchen unbearably hot. (I swear, I cooked nothing the whole month of August.)
9. I don't have to lie on the floor and whine about how hot and humid the weather is.
8. I can walk in my woods with NO BUGS and NO POISON IVY. And I love the way that the ground crunches underfoot when it is frozen.
7. Ice Skating. It's just like flying, except you stay near the ground.
6. A fire in the fireplace makes everyone gather around with pillows and blankets, books and conversation.
5. Snowforts. Snow is the most wonderful substance if you get it in big quantities, which we do. A couple hours of work, and you can design your own home, complete with a cave to sleep in, tunnels to crawl through, a lookout tower to climb up. And snowball fights are a great way to vent anger and release tension without hurting anyone.
4. Skiing. Cross-country skiing is a wonderful way to see the woods in winter, especially on a moonlit night. And there's nothing quite like downhill skiing – that sensation of slipping, sliding, gliding, and knowing I could go out of control at top speed at any moment. The adrenaline makes me feel alive.
3. Snow makes the outside world beautiful. Curves of white, magically glinting ice crystals, and mounds of fluffy snow transform the landscape.
2. Winter storms cause us to slow down, break our plans, and stay home by the fire with hot tea, a good book, candles and lazy conversation.
1. Cold winter nights make getting into bed with another warm body seem like a wonderful and miraculous thing.