December 17, 2005

Blue light at dusk

Across the road from my house is a big open field. The people who own it keep it mowed all summer long. I am not sure why. The only people to ever use the field are my children and the extra kids at my house. The field is great for games of Ultimate Frisbee. In the warmer months the field is often filled with our teenagers running up and down, yelling at each other, and leaping to catch a frisbee.

In the winter months, the field is covered with sparkling snowdrifts. Or sometimes, after a warm winter day, when the temperatures go above freezing, the snow gets soft, and everything begins to melt, a sudden change in weather at dusk will cause a mist to spread across the field, a rolling translucent whiteness that transforms the ordinary field into something mysterious.

fog

21 comments:

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Wow doesn't even cut it here...that's a stunning shot. I wish I could have it HUGE and framed in my home.

Hh

Mrs. Coulter said...

Wow, what a beautiful photo. One of my favorite sights when I was a kid was when the winter weather conditions were just so, and mist would rise off the lake, looking like it was steaming. Before it froze all across, that is.

Phantom Scribbler said...

That one is just gorgeous, jo(e).

Sfrajett said...

Beautiful picture! A weary Grail knight could stumble out of that mist at any moment. Cool.

Anonymous said...

wow. just wow.

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Cool and spooky!

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

That is one evocative photo. Wow.

Ianqui said...

Sfrajett beat me to it. I was going to say it's a lot like what I pictured when I read the Mists of Avalon as a kid.

Leslee said...

Really, can I be you when I grow up?

What Now? said...

Love the photo. Do you have a conveniently placed chair at a conveniently placed window so that you can wrap yourself up in a quilt with a mug of hot chocolate and look at that field all day?

lucy tartan said...

God, what an incrdible picture.

jo(e) said...

What Now?: I admit that as much as I like snowshoeing and skiing and all that, I also love to just sit in a comfy chair with a cup of hot tea and stare out the window ....

Anonymous said...

Great Xmas photo!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is gorgeous. It makes me wish I was there. I love snow!

thewayseeker said...

Great pic.

listie said...

That is so incredibly beautiful.

J.K.F. said...

The best part: colors go perfectly with your blog background.

Well. Maybe not the BEST part. But it's pretty neat.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading for a while now, but this is the entry that finally got me to comment. What a lovely sight! Based on your weather reports, I'm starting to think we live in the same part of the country too, though I don't have any misty fields near me!

Emily said...

So beautiful--looks like something out of a mythic tale.

Michael LeVan said...

Like the others have said, that photograph is absolutely stunning. It really captures the essence of cold in Snowstorm City.

Jody said...

Whoa. That is something else.

I am amazed.