August 04, 2008

Island snack

Island snack

I come from a family of skinny people who can't go more than an hour or two without eating, so we almost always bring food wherever we go. On a summer afternoon when we pile into the boats to go out to an island to swim, the easiest snack to bring is a watermelon. You can toss a melon into the bilge of a boat, let it roll around underfoot, and then just put it in the cold river water to chill. When everyone gets hungry, one of the adults will grab a knife and begin cutting it up. On an island where the relentless sun beats against the rock, nothing quite tastes as good as a juicy piece of watermelon. Minutes later, we pile the rinds into a bag to take back and toss the sticky children back into the water to get clean.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an elegant solution. Also, river-chilled watermelon is heavenly.

Cathy said...

It does sound heavenly. Only up your way. All of our water is in the mid 80s, which is lovely to swim in, but doesn't cool off watermelon.

I remember this summer when I went to PA and turn the faucet on for the first time to wash my hands and remember how cold the water was. Not so in the deep south.

However, we do love watermelon!

Kathryn and Ari said...

We used to do the same thing during our trips to Lake Powell. If I remember correctly, we also always named our melon Walter. I know Ed Abbey would be horrified, but I have really, really happy memories of those trips.

Anonymous said...

Floating down the river... in inner-tubes... with watermelons and coolers tied to them. Stop on a sand bar... pop open a melon... and pop open a cold drink... now that's the life!!!!

duopastorale said...

Sounds good!

Please accept this award. I always enjoy reading your blog.

YourFireAnt said...

Naked Martian doing surface dive.

;-)

Silver Creek Mom said...

Oh yummm...Now I have to get some watermelon.

And it's soo good for you!

Hugs

Unknown said...

I would have never thought to do this. Both the image and the idea are fabulous.

Gawdess said...

the picture just strikes me as funny, I am the kind of person who would stare and stare at it, trying to figure out exactly what the Hey that bizarre plant life was floating in the water - the colours and the perspective are wonderful.