January 26, 2009

Above the sink

Above the sink

Last November, when a bunch of us helped move my friend Makes Bread into her new home, I noticed that one of her potted plants had a wonderful spicy fragrance. After I moved the plant into the moving van, the whole truck smelled great. She called the plant “bush basil” and that’s when I realized that yeah, the scent made me think of basil, one of my favorite smells.

That night, I ordered some seeds, and a few days later, I planted some bush basil to keep on my kitchen windowsill. Every time I walk over to the sink to rinse out a cup or wash my hands, I admire the green that’s beginning to grow. Outside, my yard is frozen and white, but inside I’m gardening in a couple of clay pots. I think the leaves are edible, but really, I’m not growing it to eat. I just want my kitchen filled with that wonderful smell.

4 comments:

YourFireAnt said...

That sounds good. I have a dandelion growing by my kitchen window. When it blooms [sometime in March, usually] it is like the sun came out.

FA

Anonymous said...

I have a basil plant in my kitchen purely for the smell. I love it, it's such a warm smell.

Anonymous said...

Lovely... but if you like pesto you'll like to know that bush basil leaves make the best pesto -- so peppery and tender at the same time.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Sounds like a great idea! I am going to get some seeds.