January 06, 2009

City wildlife

City wildlife

On my early morning walk in the city, I wrapped my scarf around my neck to keep warm and headed towards Eastern Tidal Strait. Always, my instinct is to go towards water. When I emerged from the deep shade of the tall buildings, I could feel the sun shining down onto the sidewalks and pathways of the little park that runs along the river. I saw a man practicing some kind of kick-boxing moves along the curving sidewalk. A runner went by, listening to music that only he could hear. I stood near the railing to watch the boats go by: tugboats and barges and little boats too. Seagulls and pigeons barely moved as I approached. When I heard a frenzy of barking, I wandered over to the dog park, where a woman had put a leash on her big brown dog and was yelling, sternly and repeatedly, "No humping! No humping!" Clearly, I had missed some kind of photo op.

6 comments:

Busymomma66 said...

Oh that is too funny. Glad you are having fun.

Rana said...

One of the books D. got me for Christmas was one about feral pigeons, called _Superdove_. This bird would be a perfect candidate for the cover!

Unknown said...

Wish I were there, too.

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Your instinct is to go towards water. THAT explains why we kept missing Broadway and ending up at the river!

Dreamy Diva said...

one of a kind!! what kind of bird is
that?

jo(e) said...

It's some kind of pigeon.