September 15, 2010

Another sign of fall

On my way home from work today, I stopped at a local farmstand to buy some apples. Just-picked local apples always taste so much better that ones that have been shipped across the country or stored until they’re soft. I ate an apple as I drove home; it was crunchy and tart.

“Want to help me make some apple pies?” I asked With-a-Why. I figured maybe we could bond by baking together.

“I’ll provide music while you make them,” he said. It’s his time-honored way of getting out of chores. He plays so beautifully that I always go for the deal.

He sat down at the piano. I stood at the table and rolled out pie crust to Chopin.

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yum! Any photos of the pie?

Cheryl said...

Yum! Any photos of the pie?

YourFireAnt said...

I would provide viva voce poetry while someone cleaned out my front closet.

Anybody?

Di said...

Jo(e), I love this. Also, I want you to know that reading about your family life has made family seem like a pretty good thing. Thanks very much for that.

Magpie said...

Mmm, pie. And Chopin. How lovely.

jo(e) said...

Mrs. M: Thanks for the compliment!

Cheryl: I'd take a photo but the pies are gone. I made two of them, and my three oldest kids, plus Sailor Boy, showed up a few hours later. By the time I had natural light, I had no pie to photograph.

FA: I think we could work a deal.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I never understood the impulse to make pies, or anything not directly related to dinner, until yesterday, when I made zucchini bread and my husband and kids sat around the table, impromptu, saying YUM and Make more! It was so, so satisfying.

So maybe now I'll learn to make pie crust!

Lomagirl said...

You and those apple pies again! I'm gaining weight just reading about them. Yum. When it cools off a little more here in the land of hot I'll make one, too.

Zhoen said...

I would accept that as a fair sharing. Chopin for chopping.

jo(e) said...

Zhoen: I admit that I laughed at the corny pun ....

BrightenedBoy said...

That sounds beautiful.