September 08, 2010

Thinking

Thinking

I took this photo of With-a-Why last weekend at camp. It’s a typical pose for him — black hoodie tied around his waist, head bent, hair in his face, so deep in thought that he’s oblivious to all around him. I often wonder when I look at him what thoughts are going through his teenage mind.

What I didn’t realize when I snapped the picture is that it would be the last photo of With-a-Why with such long hair. The next evening, just before starting tenth grade, he decided to cut his hair and donate it to a charity. The minimum length needed for a donation is ten inches, and his hair, which he hadn’t cut in four years, was plenty long enough.

I took him to haircut place where the women on staff exclaimed over his dark silky hair, and bound it into little pony tails that they snipped off. His hair is still longish – it touches his shoulders – but he looks way different. I can see his face.

He looks taller, somehow, and older. That shy little boy is disappearing fast.

10 comments:

Danny Bradfield said...

I've known several people, boys and girls, to have donated their hair, and one teenage boy in our church right now is growing his hair long specifically so he can donate it. I'd consider doing the same myself, except, well, there will never again be much hair on my head, no matter how long I go without a haircut.

So... do we get to see a pic of With-a-Why's new haircut?

Liz Miller said...

I've donated my hair too, and am so glad that With-a-Why decided to do that!

jodi said...

What a sweet boy!

beemama said...

So sweet! My husband has donated a number of times, and now my youngest has decided he's growing his out to donate :) Hopefully his looks as nice as With-a-Why's once it's long!

Unknown said...

I love it! LP did this once, what a great gift for him to give.

Urban Sophisticate Sister said...

Breaking news! I want to see a picture of With-a-Why with a haircut...I believe he is the third member of the family (after Schoolteacher niece and Red-haired niece) to donate hair to charity. Kudos to him.

jo(e) said...

Yeah, Schoolteacher Niece and Red-haired Niece have both donated hair. That's how we knew about that option. When With-a-Why's hair is shorter, it looks very much like their hair, in fact -- lots of fine, silky hair -- except his is dark. I'll have to get a photo of him this weekend.

Tie-Dye Brother-in-law said...

Now I'm curious as to whether that's why he's been growing it for 4 years.

Kyla said...

Wow! Cool of him to donate his extra locks.

Yankee, Transferred said...

what a kind and generous soul.