September 12, 2010

Outdoor classroom

Outdoor classroom

Yesterday, we took our first year students on an all-day retreat. We spent the entire day outside. The students loved the high ropes course, where we challenged ourselves by climbing up high into the trees and walking on wires high above the ground. The low ropes course involved crazy teamwork challenges like trying to get a group of twelve people, half of whom are blindfolded, balancing on a tiny platform. But more importantly, the students got to spend time meeting faculty and staff in a setting that’s far more informal than a classroom.

We ate meals together, sitting outside on the grass, and had long discussions about where our food came from. (Our first year students read Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle over the summer.) Several faculty members brought produce from their own gardens, including some crazy-looking heirloom vegetables. Faculty and students played soccer together and searched together for the soccer ball together every time into the woods. At least two students brought their dogs, who were pet by dozens of hands. I taught countless first year students how to play bocce.

Because our college focuses on environmental science, faculty had lots to say about the beautiful natural area where we spent the day. In small groups, students walked to the pond, the orchard, the pine forest, the rock cliffs, and the sinkhole, where professors could talk about some of their specialties. It was a long day, filled with activity, and ended with a fire, and the traditional cooking of S’Mores. It was a day filled with positive energy, the idealistic young students talking excitedly to professors who have worked in the field since before some of these students were born.

By the pond

9 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

What a great way to spend a class! And I know it's absolutely beautiful in your area right now.

Psycgirl said...

I love when you blog about the student retreats jo(e) - I wish I had one as a faculty member!

Lomagirl said...

Once again I find myself wanting to work at your university. Does this community feeling extend throughout the year?

kim said...

This reminds me of my daughterÅ› home school group. They were read to while they climbed trees. She still refers to it as ¨tree school¨.
I am filled with joy that this type of learning exists. I will share your post with my 15 year old who excels academically, but is impatiently yearning for adventure.
I think the whole world would transition beautifully into a more ethical place if AVM was mandatory reading.

fairbetty said...

What a wonderful way to have class.

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

jo(e) said...

Seeking Solace: Yeah, fall is really gorgeous in this part of the country.

LomaGirl: We're a small school so yes, it pretty much does. The campus community is pretty tightknit.

YourFireAnt said...

Heiberg?

T.

p.s. That reminds me it's getting to be time for another picnic at....

jo(e) said...

Nope, it's Orenda Springs out in Marcellus.

I'm always up for a picnic ... especially if it includes potato salad!

Digger said...

I love this! Thanks for posting!