1. My rabbit ate my folder.
2. When I gave blood, I fainted and they made me stay there drinking orange juice even though I told them I had class.
3. Sorry I'm late, but I passed a dead raccoon on the road, and it looked like a perfect specimen so I went back home to put it in my freezer.
4. I was out all day looking for bugs to pin for my collection.
5. Dissecting a shark took longer than I thought.
6. It was opening day! I had to go hunting.
7. I was busy getting married.
8. I went skiing with a friend and he dropped the car keys off the chair lift and we had to wait for his girlfriend to drive out with the extra key.
9. My snake got loose and one of my housemates freaked out and wouldn't let me leave until I found it.
10. What paper? I was supposed to write a paper?
Rules for the game: Replace any that you feel like replacing. Add excuses that your students have given you. Try to stick to ones that you know to be real. Put an asterisk by all the ones you've added.
Looking at the my own list, it occurs to me that when it comes to bizarre reasons for missing class, biology students win, hands-down, over any other major on campus.