March 12, 2007

Bonjour

River edge

Yesterday afternoon, we arrived in the European City Where People Speak French and Carry Phallic-shaped Sticks of Bread. We took the metro to our hotel, situated near the Famous Cemetery Where Dead Doors Singer is Buried. The afternoon sun was so warm that we didn't even need coats as we set off to explore the city. We followed the river to a Famous Cathedral Where Tourists Watch People Attend Mass, walked inside the huge stone church to light some candles, and then wandered about the two islands, stopping at one point to sit on the curb and watch a street performer who mixed comedy with juggling tricks. Corny jokes, I find, are funnier when they are in another language. My daughter helped to translate, and I found myself laughing in triumph any time I figured out what Man Who Juggles Flaming Sticks was saying.

The bridges and quays along the river were filled with people enjoying the slanting sun that lit up the fronts of old stone buildings. Many people had brought books or magazines and had found spots where they could settle against a wall and read. In the canal, a boy played with a remote control sailboat while a girl sprawled on the top of a houseboat, sketching the scene. On a rare patch of grass near a stone wall, a woman in a black tank top stretched out, sunbathing. In another patch of grass, just under the famous stone gargoyles, two men were practicing back flips. All along the edge of the river, groups of friends were gathered to chat or eat picnic lunches. A couple on a bench at the end of the island were tangled together and kissing passing passionately.

11 comments:

YourFireAnt said...

Jo(e), do you think you'll ever be able to talk in definite single nouns again?

;-)

FA

Anonymous said...

I recognize Le Pont Neuf. The first time I saw it, it had ben wrapped in yellow fabric by Christo. Have a great time. Wish I was there.

AF

Anonymous said...

How DO you get your photos so crisp? Their resolution is better than what I see from my own eyes! Enjoying both the pictures and posts...

TwinsGoddess said...

Ooh! I LOVED "the Famous Cemetery Where Dead Doors Singer is Buried." Call me morbid, but strolling through there was one of the highlights of my trip to that city where they speak French!

Silver Creek Mom said...

Sounds Awesome. One day I will grace the door step of where my family comes from. ON Both sides of the canal.

ENJOY.

I. AM. SO. JEALOUS.

BeachMama said...

Wish I was there, love the bread, love the wine, love the romantic scenery.

Lilian said...

Bon Soir, Ma Cherie...

I'm glad you're having such a great time!! :)

I'll go back there someday, that's for sure!

Sfrajett said...

Thanks for reminding me how beautiful early spring can be in the City Where People Speak French. This time of year is just perfect there. Eat cheese have fun.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Ooooh. I've been longing for French City lately. A couple of my friends are going there this week, and I keep going through my photo albums and maps for them. Enjoy that city for me.

Hel said...

Thank you for these. They keep reminding me what amazing beauty is out there and still unexplored

DaniGirl said...

Jo(e), it's been a while since I've dropped by, and I can't even see the pictures because my net nanny blocks Flickr, but I had to tell you that I savoured every word of your trip descriptions. These were just lovely, delicious posts.