March 13, 2007

Faim

Patisserie

The last time I was in the City Where the Bridges and Quays Glow with Soft Light in the Evening, I was traveling with my parents and my youngest sister. My mother lent me her journal from that trip, which has been really helpful because she kept track of metro stops. The first night here, Wonderful Smart Beautiful Daughter read the journal, and she laughed at how detailed it was. "I think Grandma wrote down every single thing she ate."

Yes, that's true. My mother is a skinny woman who eats constantly, and her travel journals are always filled with food descriptions. In her journal from the City Where People Eat Leisurely Meals at Tiny Round Tables on the Sidewalk Outside the Restaurant, she described what we ate for every meal, and especially the goodies we ate every day from the nearest patisserie, laden with rich chocolate and real cream and fresh strawberries.

My daughter and I keep talking about how much Shaggy Hair Boy would love the bread here. Even a simple green salad becomes a filling meal when it's accompanied by a fresh baguette, cut into pieces and served in a basket. Yesterday, after walking through a park where fountains shoot water high into the air, visiting a museum with long paintings of a water lily pond, and climbing an old stone arch to look at streets that radiate in all directions, we rested our feet at a round red table in the sun while we chatted about our plans for the evening and watched the people walking past us.

Baguette

19 comments:

Linda said...

Those pastries are beautiful! Sounds like you all are having a great time.

RageyOne said...

sounds like fun!

Liz Miller said...

I'm drooling all over the keyboard!

Mona Buonanotte said...

Ooooh, I'm in heaven...please eat one of those chocolate slices of heaven for me...!

Anonymous said...

Pure culinary art. I love to window shop for desserts like those. If I buy one I usually have to eat it on the payment plan (in installments). Wonderful photos.

Kyla said...

Ohhhhh...the pastries...mmmmmmm.

Unknown said...

And all for the price of airfare. :)

Congratulations of catching Paris on one of its four sunny days per spring! :) Your photos are stunning.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Now, I'm hungry!

BeachMama said...

Yummy. I need to back just for the food alone :)

Yankee, Transferred said...

I feel like I'm along for the ride.

TwinsGoddess said...

Holy God.

OneTiredEma said...

Yum. It all looks divine. (Plus there is all the Parisian walking to burn it off!)

Ookami Snow said...

That looks really good.

Lilian said...

Yes, like everyone else I'm drooling here... yum, yum, yum!! Enjoy!!!

skatey katie said...

wow jo(e)
now i'm having serious *flashbacks* to last july when hubby and i went to City With Gorgeous Everything and kissed at the top of the Eiffel tower and ate baguettes etc..
but the weird thing is they don't taste a *thing* like the ones we get here in NZ.. they're smaller and chewier...
certainly *not* la même chose

Anonymous said...

How unfair is it that I got Mom's red hair, but not her ability to eat constantly and stay skinny!

Jenevieve said...

Oh man, I want to eat everything in that top picture.

Oh, heck. I'll take the baguette, too.

Leslee said...

MMmm... I want some!

Robin said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!