November 11, 2007

A is for Amazing Woman!

A recent conversation with my sixteen-year-old son made me realize, once again, how often the efforts of high school English teachers go unrewarded.

Me: Hey, did anyone at your school dress up for Halloween this year?
Shaggy Hair: Lots of kids did. And some of the teachers.
Me: Any good costumes?
Shaggy Hair: They were lame.
Shaggy Hair: Ms. English Teacher dressed as Hester Prynne.
Me: Oh, that's clever. Since you all had to read The Scarlet Letter over the summer.
Shaggy Hair: Kids didn't really get it.
Me: What did she wear?
Shaggy Hair: An old-fashioned dress and the letter A pinned to her chest.
Me: Well, that should have been a dead give-away.
Shaggy Hair: Not really. Kids were saying, "Why does Ms. English Teacher have a letter pinned to her chest? Is she supposed to be some kind of superhero?"

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oy.

Cathy said...

Oh my....

Zhoen said...

Even if they knew, better not to admit, since smart ain't cool. Gah.

Diane M. Roth said...

what songbird said...

Anonymous said...

ummm...I would have gotten that. In high school. and admitted to getting it. Maybe I was a nerd? If so, so were all my friends.

susan said...

Or A is for Allusive Woman, who can thwart bad guys with heady allusions. or alliterations, if she were Alliterative Woman.

Rana said...

Heh.

Well, at least SHB got it. ;)

a/k/a Nadine said...

Kudos to the teacher for trying!

Yankee T said...

Slightly less than rewarding, I would say. Good for SHB, though.

Anonymous said...

When I worked in a high school, I dressed up as a "rough draft," taking my inspiration from bikers.

Liz Miller said...

That is a cool teacher.

Anonymous said...

Oh. That hurts.

Lorianne said...

High school English teachers are superheroes, no?

Anonymous said...

sometimes it's fun being obscure