November 21, 2007

Through

Through

Today, people are traveling. My students are heading home: jouncing half-asleep on a bus seat, or listening to an iPod on the train, or crowded into the backseat of a car with backpacks and laptops. Friends are driving miles and miles to be with family, some of them with small children strapped into car seats or homemade goodies balanced on the back seat. For other friends, the beginning of the holiday season is not a physical journey, but an emotional journey, at time to remember who they are, who they are becoming, who they want to be.

I am cuddled in a big chair by my own fire, surrounded by family and cats. My kids are home; in fact, all four are piled on the couch right now, talking and joking with each other. This afternoon, I took my mother-in-law shopping; tomorrow, we go to my parents' house for Thanksgiving dinner. As I doze sleepily by the warm fire, listening to the affectionate chatter of my children as they tease each other, I think of those friends who are on difficult journeys, who are driving into a storm and then going straight through, and I try to send them some energy, some warmth from my hearth.

9 comments:

Yankee T said...

Sitting tight together with my big college girl tonight, smiling at photos and talking about books and movies, I thought of you and your terrific family.
And a sweet thought you're having for your friends.

Linda said...

I think I'll pull up a chair and sit by the cozy fire for awhile. It's definitely chilly here. Thanks! :)

Overeducated Twit said...

I love the picture--there's something I find so appealing about roads, and the fog is beautiful. Clearly I'm still on the journey section of my life :).

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

I love the photo, reminds me of my time in England, driving thru the mist and over the hills... I loved it! We only have to go 10 miles thru city streets to Grandma's house, but that's our tradition.

Happy Thanksgiving to you jo(e) !

duopastorale said...

Nice thoughts. I'd like to be by a real fire too.

My Blogs
Quick Snap 365
This I Do...

Anonymous said...

that's a wonderful thought. have a great thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Lilian said...

Beautiful post. From normal standards we'd be going through difficult times right now, but we're so fortunate to have what we have that we only have things to be thankful for. Everything will be all right in the end. I worry about those with no food, no family, those poor people in Brazil and other countries with great social inequality. And I feel very blessed indeed. Thanks for your post.

Patti said...

Thank you. I feel like I'm driving straight through a storm, and I definitely felt a blessing prayer from you.