July 16, 2008

500 pieces

Although I still think a tent is the ideal place to stay in the mountains, I have to say it was nice to come back to the old mountain inn, where we had a real bed and could take hot showers. After a long afternoon hike, my husband and I ate dinner in the inn's restaurant, sitting at a table near the window, looking out across the porch, where an elderly couple were sitting in rocking chairs. A man and his two small daughters were feeding the ducks down by the docks.

The inn has several canoes and kayaks that guests are welcome to use, but in the quiet of the evening, my husband convinced me to that we should take the inn's paddleboat instead. One nice thing about the paddleboat is that we could sit next to each other and talk. (In a canoe, I'm always talking to the back of his head. ) You pedal a paddleboat just like a bicycle, which meant that my hands were free for taking photos. Luckily, the wind had died down, and the water was still as we moved slowly along the shoreline, churning our legs, talking, and trying to guess the history of the old buildings at the water's edge.

500 pieces

8 comments:

K said...

What a glorious photo...or should that be glorious image? Is that the inn or one of the other historical buildings? It is just lovely. I can hear the gentle slap of the water on the boat's edge and feel the sun when I read your words.

Cathy said...

I thought the 500 pieces referred to a puzzle picture - and this one would be pretty enough to be one.

jo(e) said...

k: Thanks. It's not the inn -- it's an old building on an island.

Cathy: Yes, that's what I was thinking. The photo looks like a jigsaw puzzle to me. When I was a kid, we always did puzzles with scenes like this on it.

Cathy said...

So many of your pictures look like 500 piece puzzles....

Yankee, Transferred said...

I love this photo, and it's wonderful that you and he take time together. Getting away from the distractions is so important.

Gawdess said...

makes me think of childhood summers in the province of Ontario!

Sandy said...

Beautiful shot. The light is just perfect on the building. I'd love to know the history of that place too and I'd like to see inside of it even more.

Anonymous said...

I want to go.