July 08, 2008

Some like it fast

Some like it fast

Most of us at camp prefer leisurely modes of traveling, like sailing on the river or paddling a canoe through the marsh or taking a walk along an old country road. My father and brother both have sailboats, and I have a bunch of canoes. We've got an old aluminum boat with a small motor for transporting folks out to an island for swimming.

But a few people in the family do like the thrill of speed. One afternoon, Tie-dye Brother-in-law tied a tube behind his speedboat and gave rides to the younger kids. Dandelion Niece, who is the lightest in the group, got an especially wild ride as the tube bounced about on the wake and the cross-wake of another boat that had just gone by. Tubing is easier that water skiing because it takes no grace or sense of balance: you just have to hang on and enjoy the ride.

4 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

reminds me of the time I tried to waterski.

it wasn't pretty....

Sandie said...

I used to love to water ski, but as I got older and didn't get as much practice, tubing became a great way to get a similar feeling.

susan said...

In my feed reader, these last two posts are side by side, and the photos are quite the contrast!

Horace said...

My father asked me if I wanted him to bring the skis to the lake this year, and, older and heavier than the 16-year-old I was when I learned to waterski on that lake, I declined. But tubing? Now THAT looks like fun!