July 07, 2008

Sailors delight

Sailors' delight

My parents' camp faces west, across River Named After a Dead Saint. Usually, just before the sunset begins, family members are scurrying about to do stuff they need to do before it gets dark: brushing teeth, perhaps, or finding a sweatshirt, or getting some kindling for the fire, or putting away the bocce balls, or rooting through a tent in hopes of finding that elusive flashlight. But then someone will yell, "Hey, look at the sunset," and anyone within hearing distance will take a few minutes to stop and stare. The sunsets don't last long, just a few minutes really, but for those few minutes, the calm water in our bay glows red. I've watched these sunsets all my life, and I still don't get tired of them.

17 comments:

Julia said...

I don't imagine you would, with views like these...
Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

That is beyond beautiful; it looks like a painting.

Yankee T said...

I'm speechless.

concretegodmother said...

oh my good lord, jo(e)! speechless, breathless.... this will get some lengthy stares from me.

RussianViolets said...

Jo(e), you've done it again. This MAY be THE most beautiful picture that you've posted yet. WOW!!!!

RageyOne said...

It looks so serene.

Zhoen said...

How can one tire of the never changing?

Oh, and saints have to be dead, btw.

Zhoen said...

Ever, ever changing.

(Oops. )

Anonymous said...

This is just exquisitely beautiful.

BrightBoy said...

Jo(e), I think you've outdone yourself.

Sandie said...

Yep, wow! I could look at that forever. It is so peaceful, but active and vibrant at the same time.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

That is unbelivable. You need to print that and frame it.

I tagged you with a meme.

Billie said...

This is just so gorgous . . . Cloudscome is right: print and fame this one. Beautiful!

Gawdess said...

you paint pictures with words and tell stories with your photos.

Ampersand said...

who could get tired of this?!?!

so wonderful.

Anonymous said...

that is the best picture you have posted.

Kyla said...

That photo does not even look REAL. Wow.